Friday, December 23, 2011

pumpkin two ways

earlier this month i experimented with making pumpkin soup. it was ok. there wasn't much of a sweet pumpkin flavor to it, but i still ate it all. i didn't really measure (it's just soup after all) and threw random things in willy-nilly. i vaguely followed this pumpkin soup recipe from crepes of wrath (sans shallots).


a couple weeks later i still had some leftover pumpkin puree from the soup experiment, and i got a hankering to try to make pumpkin biscuits.


2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (i didn't use any)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons molasses (i used pure maple syrup)
1 teaspoon honey

like my dough cutter?

  1. preheat oven to 400° f. line and/or grease your baking sheets and set aside.
  2. in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. add in the cold cubed butter and mix together with a fork, a pastry cutter, or your stand mixer, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (i don't think mine ever looked like "coarse crumbs")
  3. in another bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, milk, molasses, and honey until well combined, then gradually add into the dry mixture with the butter until just moistened. lightly dust your work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. dust your hands and rolling pin with flour, then roll out to about a 1-inch thickness. cut out 2 1/2-inch circles of dough and place on your prepared baking sheets. continue until you have no more dough.
  4. bake for 12-15 minutes, until set and golden. (yields 8-10 biscuits)
recipe from crepes of wrath.


i had more than 1 cup of pumpkin but tossed it all in the batter anyway. the biscuits still turned out ok, but i assume they would have been flakier without the extra pumpkin. it did increase the yield from "8-10" to 18-20, but we had no problem devouring the biscuits in 3 days (and by 3 days i mean barely managed to save the last two biscuits for breakfast the 3rd day).

they were amazing and i'd eat them again any day. the amazingness could be due to the fact that i haven't had a biscuit in for-ev-er because they usually have sugar / lard (soybean-based) in them. regardless, i loved and inhaled them. i will probably make them again for christmas day brunch.

11 comments:

  1. Now that is something I would never have thought of. Pumpkin Bisquets. Nice. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you too. Thanks for the wonderful comments! Take care. .........Nice dough cutter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a great idea, Lindsay. I am not much of a cook, but I like the idea of using more squash and hiding it in something my family will eat. :)
    Great dough cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lose look amazing and I love pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many ways to use pumpkin. I found a ton of ones on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love biscuits and those look delicious. Maybe I'll resolve to bake more in 2012. Or I'll just drool over your pictures. One of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when I get a hankering to make biscuits...Or I would love if I ever DID get a hankering to make biscuits.

    I do love pumpkin and I do love anything in bread form so perhaps I will have to give these a whirl!!

    Hope you have a merry merry Christmas. I've been trying this new drug called sleep. It works REALLY well but it's been cutting into my bloggy social life:) Nice to catch up with a few of your posts here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like pumpkin, but I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled with the biscuits. If I'm going to have pumpkin, it needs to be in the form of a pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum and I do love your biscuit cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Biscuits looks great and Karen is a huge pumpkin fan so I will be emailing the recipe to her.

    Love the biscuit cutter. As Alton Brown would say make sure that your kitchen devices have more than one use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never even heard of pumpkin biscuits. They look amazing! I do love me some pumpkin. Ill prolly be making those in the next few days. BAM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow i love pumpkin anything! Thanks for sharing.

    -ayedubbs

    ReplyDelete