Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CrossFit Games: Gimpy Style

Although I've been dealing with my OI injury/gluteal bursitis and avoiding lower-body activity, I was still easily convinced to sign up for the CrossFit Games. It's not like I'll even get a good idea as to where I stand amongst the CrossFitters of the world because I can't (/shouldn't) do the workouts as prescribed.

Nevertheless, I paid the $20 and signed up. Then I paid another $20 to buy the t-shirt...

Bathroom selfie for the win
The "main" part of the Games is the Open. These are the first 5 weeks (held March-April) with 1 workout each week. Anyone who wants to participate can. The top 60 in each Region move on to more advanced stages of the Games but with 4,000+ ladies in my Region it's safe to say I won't need to worry about that level. The workout is announced each Wednesday evening and you can submit your score (typically # of reps) by Sunday evening.

13.1 - No, not a half marathon. As many reps as possible (AMRAP) in 17 minutes of:
40 burpees
30 snatches (45 lbs for women)
30 burpees
30 snatches (75 lbs for women)
20 burpees
30 snatches (100 lbs for women)
10 burpees
AMRAP snatches in time remaining (120 lbs for women)

My score: 2 (burpees)

I was smart and didn't push it. Technically I could have gotten at least 100 reps but loading up my glute/hammy in all those burpees and snatches would not have been wise.

In the days following I was envious of my friends who got to fully attempt the workout and see their ranking. (Insert suspenseful music) When the next workout was announced I was ecstatic - the first exercise was upper-body (the rest was stuff I shouldn't be doing). You can probably guess what happened next...


13.2 - AMRAP in 10 minutes of:
5 shoulder to overhead (75 lbs for women)
10 deadlift (75 lbs)
15 box jumps (step ups were allowed thanks to one of the top competitors breaking her foot)

My score: 209 (not smart)

one-legged rainbow bright
I probably irritated some of my friends by scoring just as well as they did with my one-legged deadlifts and step ups, but my left leg was spaghetti at the end of those 10 minutes. I've been in some new kinds of pain these past few days. 70 one-leg deadlifts when you haven't worked out your legs in 3 months? Not the brightest idea.

Here's hoping there are upper body moves in the three workouts to come!

I know Kovas and Bob Harper are also trying their hand at the Games, anyone else?

26 comments:

  1. I actually think one-legged deadlifts would be an awesome workout. Talk about working out the back of the body AND developing balance in one thing- that needs to be added to the games because working multiple systems is the CrossFit way, right?

    Good job with the workouts... and every time I saw 13.1 it confused me because I thought half marathon and then read to see it's a CrossFit person, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you 'stron' Lindsay, great again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome!!! I love that you did everything one-legged!!! I keep talking about trying CrossFit...I need to just shut it and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crossfit scares me for some reason. You did awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you CRAZY? Never-mind don't answer, I already know..... I've been tracking folks on the leader board and that's as close as I'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for doing it, whether modified or not! I'm impressed with anyone getting it done at CF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 209 is an amazing score, especially one-legged. I guess if Jenny Labaw can do it, and you did it, that could be a strategy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did some crazy ab stuff and am pretty sure I pulled a muscle. Also, not smart.

    Way to go on the one legged upper body stuff, even if I have no idea what any of that means AND you made yourself ridiculously sore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some secret love for the crossfit stuff. I'm still a little afraid of getting sucked in, though, out of fear that it will completely consume me. I get obsessive with things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I admire you! This is awesome
    I am so not able to do that stuff...scares me big time!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG you are crazy :) and awesome!

    I have tried some "crossfit" like workouts, but not actually crossfit. I think I'm far, far to injury prone. I would do one dead lift and like my spine would fall out on the floor or something.

    Enjoy the rest of the games!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you're doing the open! I think only two people from my gym are and they are super intense. I'm not at a point where I can do half of those workouts yet, but maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One legged dead lifts are sweet! Hate burpees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang one legged deadlifts? Looks like painful fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are TOUGH, tough! yeah, I think your friends are hate'n on you for sure. cute t-shirt pic !

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG you are so badass I am exhausted just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job girl! I have been watching some of the groups at my gym do their open workouts. Maybe next year for me! Right now I can only stand and watch in awe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep taking care of that body!! I love free weights, but have never done any competition like cross fit. Pretty sure I have my family maxed out on my competitive outlets :) Hope you are recovering OK!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, looking strong Lindsay! How is your OI injury doing? Hope you are healing up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to keep going while being injured! Hoping you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Serious workouts. well done. Hope your injury trouble clears up quick

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got two friends competing in them. Susan is normally in the top 200 or so in the country, but I haven't heard how's she's done, and my friend Ryan Bonser is just a beast. I think he's brother placed last year in this. I don't do Crossfit, so I don't know much about the competition. but look up Ryan on facebook and you can see what he's up to there.
    I've finally begun to solve my gluteal pain with ice, massage and ibuprofen. Still a ways to go, but working at.
    And I met one of the fastest Kenyans of all time, Daniel Komen, just yesterday. Had a nice talk with him, got a picture and autograph and put him in my blog. Thought of you and your blog right away.

    http://yourmomreadsourblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Friend ! thanks for checking on me. we made it back home today. Thankful that we are safe. I was at the food area when the bomb went off. I saw the smoke and went straight to our hotel. Our group was all safe. Thankful and Blessed ! Home is Sweeter today ! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Friend - we made it home safely today. I was at the food/water line when the bomb went off. I heard it, looked back and saw the smoke and headed to the hotel. I was happy that all of my friends were safe and we were together. I'm thankful and blessed ! home is a little sweeter today. thank you for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are one tough chic! I could not even last one rep in the first exercise. Though, I have recently been looking into other avenues for strength training. Haha, I remember doing burpees in the Military during basic training. I hated them very much. lol. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are crazy and badass! Glad you got to participate some...

    ReplyDelete