Monday, February 25, 2013

Pain in the Rear: A Diagnosis

(At long last...)

I finally went to see a guy about my glute issue. I asked around for recommendations to a good sports doc in the area with no luck. Corey has a good friend that's a PT but then I learned that you have to have a "prescription" from a doctor in order to see the PT. Lame. I'm a little jaded when it comes to doctors because I haven't had good experiences with most of the ones I've gone to see (uh, how about the one who tested me for arthritis? Yeah...) so I've become more reliant on raving recommendations from friends vs. doctors on my health care provider's list.

My former cross-country coach from high school suggested I see a guy whose clientele includes George Hincapie. He is a huge anatomy/kinesiology geek and my "one hour" appointment quickly turned into three while we discussed my butt and a number of rabbit trail sidetracks (like baseball shoulder injuries). I also cracked a few jokes about steroid use and he told me he gave Hincapie a hard time about steroid-induced-impotence when he last saw him.

The Diagnosis: An angry Obturator Internus, and some bursitis underneath it. Basically (in my non-anatomy-expert words) the OI is injured, inflamed and putting pressure on the bursa under it. The bursitis is being more of a diva than the OI as far as causing pain.


I have an exciting regime of "exercises" and stretches to do. I got excited because he said I could do leg exercises... and then found out he doesn't define them quite the same way I was thinking (they are even less-intense than Jane Fonda leg raises).

We ran through the stretches and exercises during my marathon appointment and I could feel those muscles working and even getting a little tired. It's been a little harder to remember how to do all of them and I am constantly referring to the handouts he gave me. The more I do them the more the area will calm down and stop irritating the bursa. I could take anti-inflammatories to help with the inflammation but I'm on methotrexate for my skin and you can't mix meth with NSAIDs.  I know fish oil can help with inflammation so I picked up a bottle (yum) to see if it will help on that front.

It's great to feel hopeful about getting better! I won't lie the exercises are boring, but hopefully with some diligence I'll be back to running and cross-fitting sooner rather than later. If it's feeling better in a few weeks I can test out running; I can't wait.

31 comments:

  1. That's great that you were able to get a diagnosis and a plan that will help you get back to running! Here's hoping that you'll be pounding the pavement again in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you know something now and have a plan of action. I hope you are feeling better soon and out there being active again like I know you want to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things are looking up with the pain. That sports doc sounds incredible too! Most just want you in and out ASAP but to spend that extra time showing you and teaching the stretches is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously - and they (doc's) want to bill you for every little thing too!

      Delete
  4. I wish you had some luck with the velvet antler.....it's great for anything that ends in "itis"....now if only if did something for vertigo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PT is the most boring thing ever. What a friggen yawn fest. But I stand by it- in the past I depended on it, and when following the program, it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it all gets better quickly and you can get running soon. All the best! Those exercise will bore me to death I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the PT helps. If not, you might want to have them look for a labral tear. I experienced a lot of hip/glute pain and over the course of the year tried a lot of PT. Finally, had an MRI on my left hip with the diagnosis of a labral tear. Waiting on eval by surgeon for repair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for an answer and a plan! Fingers crossed this works well and you are back at it asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome that you finally got an answer! I had bursitis and it sucks but it goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember doing boring as hell foot exercises - for two years. Eventually it all pays off so I know you'll be diligent because it means a lot to us who are exercise junkies :). I also remember r getting a diagnosis after so long of not having one, what a relief it was. Finally, an answer, any answer, but an answer - by someone who's actually knows what he's saying :). I wish you tons of happy but exercise days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uggggg, I remember having to do all those exercises too when I had injury issues with my right knee. They're almost as boring as watching paint dry. Good news is that you'll be better soon and back to your running ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had impingement in my right shoulder from tennis a decade ago and understand that joint pain is the pits. I ended up with surgery as I was actually slowly rubbing a hole into my shoulder blade. Have not had any pain ever since but I remember how tedious the post surgery exercises were :O(
    I hope you feel better soon and will be back in your running shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Double up on the exercises so you can get in the Open workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you have a diagnosis! Woo hoo! When I read your blog I feel your frustration, because really it can happen to any of us, and it is sooo hard when you don't even know what the way forward is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's hoping the boring exercises get you where you need to be. Can you watch tv while you do them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely try to make the most of my TV time and do them in bed / on the floor in the living room. I'm gonna sit around anyway, may as well get my Jane Fonda leg raises on!

      Delete
  16. Get some cherry juice concentrate, too - great for inflammation. Glad you got a dx!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great doc visit. I am also reluctant to visit docs. Its sort of like taking your pet to the vet they never really know anything for sure! Hope rear has the speediest of recoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you found a good doc who found the issue. Hope it resolves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm, I am wondering if I have the same type of problem. My glute on the right side won't fire at all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. always good to hear that you don't need surgery for something. Exercises are always the best first way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a pain in the butt once, and it was a pain in the ass! Seriously, for me it was my piriformis. Thank goodness you got a diagnosis. Relief is on its way. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy you found someone that KNOWS what they are doing. I know those "exercises" are boring, but being consistent will help.

    And as far as fish oil...I pound that stuff down like it's going out of style. I take 4000mg per day and I *swear* it helps with the AI stuff I have going on. I've "experimented" by going off it for a week a few times and sure enough my knees start audibly creaking and my AI symptoms get worse. (I keep a daily log of pain/annoyance level and a few other indicators and I see a spike in my charts when I go off my fish oil) YMMV ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dangit! Stinking insurance rules! I am glad you found the source of the problem...looking forward to an update to see how things are going!

    ReplyDelete
  24. gotta love PT exercises lol - that was my life in 2011, and it might be my life this summer again to deal with my knee injury haha. Hopefully you injury starts to go away over time.

    I did indeed get the water bottle and jellybeans, thanks a lot! Should I send you money for postage? $11.20 is a lot! You'll be recognized in next post =)

    And yea my race splits surprised even me, I was basically running all out the whole time, and seemed to settle in around 7 which shocked me. A month long taper? Maybe I am an exhibit that long tapering can work, since it felt like my body was ready to go on raceday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't even get me started with insurance companies. They blow!

    I'm sure it feels GREAT to get some answers though! It sounds like you have a great doctor who is truly interested in helping you recover. Make sure you listen to him because those are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never heard of that obturator you speak of. SO happy you have a dx and steps to heal the problem. I'd love it if you shared the exercises as I seem to have constant PIA.

    ReplyDelete