Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the boston bug

i guess the excitement and wonder of the boston marathon got to me a little too much, and i over did monday's easy run. the legs were a bit tired for tuesday's i-pace intervals. on monday i overestimated what was on schedule but i was thoroughly enjoying myself so i just kept going. the distance was fine, it was picking it up for the last two-miles that probably didn't help me too much today.

monday (4/20) pm run: 9.3 miles, 1:21:11 (avg pace 8:43), avg hr (162)

today, tuesday, i had 5x4-minutes "i-pace" (~6:25 mile pace) with 3-minutes easy. usually in a first rep i don't feel "it" yet and i get through it easily. not today. set 1 - barely talked myself into the full four minutes. ahh a sweet rest period, although still chugging along at about an 8:34 mile pace. those rest periods are never long enough. into set 2, talked myself to 1-minute, then 2, etc etc. during break #2 i decided i'd just do 3 sets today, told myself it'd still be decent. survived set 3 although i was having some trouble swallowing my saliva or something and i was being one of those annoying people who makes noises while they run (trying to clear my throat). during the break i noticed i wasn't even to 5-miles yet so i forced myself into set 4. almost found out what it's like to puke while running. survived though. after the final break i knew i couldn't ditch out on the last rep, whether or not i puked. i'm not sure where the overall feeling of crappiness came from 'cause i've done faster intervals before, but i hope it doesn't come back to visit me again anytime soon.

tuesday (4/21) pm run: 9.5 miles, 1:14:34 (avg pace 7:50), avg hr (169)

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Way to get through all 5 intervals. Sounds like your running mojo is just about back to full swing (even if you might not agree after today's run).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny. I was the same way today with the excitement of watching Boston still lingering.

    And ya know, sometimes you run to hit your paces - other times, you run them just to get thru them, which builds mental toughness. Congrats on finishing them out. Glad the tougher half prevailed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow girl, those are some serious intervals :) and a couple of awesome back to back 9+ milers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job pushing yourself! I definitely hope that sick feeling doesn't return either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to stick with the intervals. You are right, the rest/recovery periods are never long enough!

    Boston was exciting! I really enjoyed tracking everyone too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to get through 'em! Nothing like 5 intervals when you're dying in the first. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Boston bug was pretty strong, wsan't it. Great job kicking out those intervals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to play mind tricks on myself all the time during intervals. With two to go, I'll say, "If I just finish one, I can stop." But then without fail, once I know I only have one to go, I really want to finish the workout.

    Great job getting 'er done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Boston totally excited me, and I only read about it... I didn't even watch it! (I know, I'm a bad, bad runner)

    You are doing a great job at training. Keep it up :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we all have the Boston Bug. :)

    My first interval is usually either my fastest or slowest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog via Irish's. I just looked over your PR's. Wow! That 1/2 marathon pace is so incredible! Good luck with your training! Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Jess in that we all have the Boston bug this week!

    Nice on the intervals :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah yes, the feeling of "i'm gonna puke." don't you just love it?!

    ReplyDelete