Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ragnar relay florida keys 2011: leg 1

at the start of 2010, ragnar announced a new relay - miami to key west! in january! you can't pass that up. i chatted it up with a few blog buddies and luckily brian, was awesome enough to coordinate a team. i'm clearly too lazy for that; please just boss me around.

after months of planning (on brian's part) and anticipation (my part), i boarded a plane and headed south. i spent an exciting day in ft laud waiting to be picked up by my teammates. aka, i sat in the lobby of the holiday inn express.

i took pictures of random things to pass the time

all packed up

eventually i met up with part of the team and we prepared for the weekend ahead. a delicious spaghetti dinner, a few hours sleep, and we were up and on the road to the start line in miami.

dawn at crandon park beach


team captain brian, aka safety boy, started us off with a quick 3-mile leg. it was a legitimate concern that he would beat us to exchange 1 so we wished him luck and took off for the van. luckily we beat him and the next runner (daphne) even had a few minutes to prepare for her run. we passed her just as she was starting a climb up a bridge and honked/yelled/banged on the windows for her.


while waiting at the next exchange, i sent a photo of the view to my office mates who were stuck at work. daphne handed off to danna and we were on the road again. now i was feeling nervous as my turn grew closer. would i be able to run hard enough? would the nausea creep back in? would i get lost? would i be eaten by an alligator? at least i didn't have to worry about bathroom issues as i was able to take care of business before the race started.

i changed out of my $12 boston sweats and into running clothes. i wanted to run with my phone in case my leg got bitten off by an alligator, so i wore a sugoi fizz bra tank since it has a pocket on the back. one trip to the porta-potty for nerves ala redhead style and i waited for danna. she came cruising in, executed a smooth exchange, and i was off.

at a 6:46 mile pace.

yeah that's faster than my 5k pr, and i still have two more legs to run later. i slowed down and aimed for a 7:45 pace for the 4.2 mile leg. i jumped at a few palm fronds laying on the side of the road that looked like alligators. i passed a woman who had her headphones up too loud and didn't hear me coming. my shoe came untied. i didn't see any other (ragnar) runners during my leg. in the last mile i had to cross an intersection twice; it was hard to start back up after stopping.

i sped onward to the exchange where i awkwardly slapped the bracelet into hunter's hand instead of on her wrist. not the way to set a good impression upon people pretending to be my friends my new friends. we walked back to the van, i had a few minutes to stand around and cool-off, and then drove on to the next exchange.

i think this might be where we first started to daydream about pizza. already. at 10:30am.

hunter handed off to tim dan steve jim, our last runner in van 1. we drove to the first major exchange at gould's park, found the other half of our team, cheered jim in to hand-off to patrick of van 2, and went "off-duty".

a short run, cheering, and riding around in a van is exhausting work. we sped off to a luxurious lunch at ihop where they accidentally gave me nut-filled pancakes and i went into anaphylactic shock. just kidding, i didn't go into shock. luckily i noticed something funny about my blueberry pancakes and they whipped up a new, nut-free stack for me.


we stuffed ourselves full and went to the homestead miami speedway, the next major exchange, to rest up and prepare for our next "shift".

leg 1 (1/7) - 4.2 miles, 32:39 (avg pace 7:46), 54*
one roadkill; passed by no one.

32 comments:

  1. Sounds like such fun!!! I love relays. And I totally understand starting off way too fast. I do that, especially in relays. I suppose it has to do with being part of a team of crazy endorphin-spiked runners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'd love to do one some day. And is the logo a play on jimmy buffet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love doing a relay. The two times I have done one we ate all day! And I do mean all day! But when don't I eat all day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, thanks for not inviting me!!! :-P I was going to ship you a surprise, but not anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between H2C last night and this and Iron Texas Mommy discussing 2012 relay I'm ready to run now.

    Now let me ask you why you didn't bring your personally created menu to iHop and say: I want this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off to a roaring start and I love you had a nervous bathroom break! :) LOL! Isn't it funny how exhausting and hungry cheering on your teammates can be when you've only run your first set of miles. I swear you could gain weight on a Ragnar because you just want to eat to pass the time!!! LOL! Alright now on to your night leg...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to do a relay, sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always start off too fast. This looks amazing! You are in a different world than me according to the weather in these pictures. I have only seen the sun once or twice this winter. :( And eating...yes, I'm dreaming of pizza before I'm done too! So awesome to earn a good treat when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blast! This really has me jonesing to run in a relay someday. You seem to have so many running adventures!

    And I definitely would've been jumpy about them gators too. Even if they turned out to be palm fronds. You really can't be too careful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blast! This really has me jonesing to run in a relay someday. You seem to have so many running adventures!

    And I definitely would've been jumpy about them gators too. Even if they turned out to be palm fronds. You really can't be too careful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like too much work if you were to ask me, but you didn't, so hahaha on me. Was that a chocoturd in the plastic bag? People pretending to be your friends? Fill me in man. I want the scoop. Well, that was an amazing start off pace. I did 6;30 miling on the treadmill for one minute the other day just to see what that felt like. Wow, you are fast. I am glad you did not get your leg or legs bitten off by an alligator or something down there in that part of the world. Take care and glad to see your new years taking off so nicely. Remember that you have to land at some time. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Passed by NO ONE! Woman, you're an animal............ at least on leg one. HA

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like so much fun!!! You killed it!!! Way to go! I have been wanting to do a relay in the future. Good for you for being able to eat a hearty breakfast and still run again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl you are so freakin' fast, it is just wrong! :) One of my friends is putting together a team for a realy here in GA (It would be really helpful if I could remember the name of it right now... southern odessey maybe... dunno). Anyhow, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lot of fun and thank goodness you found the nuts before eating them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great run! Relay teams are seriously an awesome way to find new running friends.

    Have you gotten my message about the donut run? I'll be out there, but will join in the "casual" division!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and this are so awesome...this is a far away bucket list item for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. can i please be on your team next year?! sounds like too much fun, although Im sure Ill be too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SEE? You've still got speed in those legs! I guess we just need to slap you in a van full of strangers for you to impress in order to tap into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i was going to do this in cali in april but it fell on boston weekend. boooo. looks like sooooooooo much fun chica.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Lindsay,
    I'ma Eatchoo
    Love,
    Gator

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun!!! I'm dying to do a relay. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, I can't wait for the rest! As someone who has wanted to run Ragnar for a while now, I am greatly enjoying the opportunity to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo girlie, I didn't even know you were off to Florida (jealous!!!). I've done a relay here in CO, was super-duper fun! So glad you didn't have an allergic reaction so early in the game...save that for later ;). I also hope you get more sleep than I did (20 minutes) and just make sure to eat when you're suppose to, no matter how much you won't want to. HAVE A BLAST! Can't wait for leg 2.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, well, it appears you are DONE with the relay. Dorky me didn't catch that part. Ok, still I anxiously await part 2. :) Hope you're home safely and recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cool! Can't wait to read the rest.

    I so want to do one of these some day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love reading about the relays and would love to do one someday. I would need someone who A- planned it and B- doesnt mind a slow poke runner.

    ReplyDelete
  28. sounds super fun! hoping to do a relay this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cool!! I can't wait to see more info on the Ragnar!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like a great start to the relay!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to participate in one some day. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete