Tuesday, September 22, 2009

another day in paradise

week in review (9/14 - 9/20):
total miles: 68.16 (new pr, i'm pretty sure anyway)
time spent running: ~ 9 hours 35 minutes
avg hr: 158.50
avg pace: 8:38/mile (avg temp: 72.25*)
off days: 1 (planned)

a solid week that i am quite happy with. saturday's excellent long run helped a lot with that, but the whole week in general just felt "on". i was never moody towards my easy runs and didn't have to rearrange any days. it was a confidence-boosting week i needed after some mostly-off weeks recently. maybe i will still have a little run in nyc.

last week i was whiny about not having enough time and feeling crammed all day long. in order to give you a more complete look at my wonderful schedule, i thought i'd break down a typical day for me over the past six months... (everything was shifted forward when work was from 6:30a-5:00p over the summer)

5:30am - the absolute latest i can get up for work. this is if i showered the night before, which is usually the case. working on a construction site = no real point in showering in the morning. no one to impress and there's dirt everywhere.

5:30-6:00am - brush teeth, wash face, put in contacts, get dressed, pack lunch, grab breakfast downstairs.

6:00-7:00am - drive in the dark, but get to watch the sunrise over the kentucky farmland. very pretty; wish i could be enjoying it on a run. actually, i'm already beating the sun to work, so i don't even get to watch the sunrise anymore.


7:00am - work starts. google reader has been accessible again, so i usually knock out my non-running items on there in the first hour of work as i also wake up, open up the necessary work programs (um, like instant messenger), and half-listen to the morning staff meeting.

7:00am-5:30pm - hard at work, powering the homes and businesses of central kentucky while also decreasing the number of pollutants being released into the atmosphere. i enjoy a 30-minute lunch at 12. i'd go out to eat but the jobsite is about 45 minutes from civilization so that's not an option.

5:30-6:30pm - drive again. lately i've been thinking about how depressing it will be to arrive and leave work in the dark. (and when the heck will i run?)

6:30pm (/as soon as i get back) - change and go run. no time to waste.

8:00pm - typical return from running; sometimes a little later.

8:00-9:00pm - stretch (sorta), do some abs (sometimes), shower, eat dinner. it sucks eating dinner at 9:00pm. i'm not a fan.

9:00-10:00pm - my one hour of free time, if i don't try to get to bed before 10. it's sometimes spent catching up on blogs (hence why i am always behind), but after being on the computer at work all day i'm usually not in the mood lately to sit on it "all" night too. my brain turns off, i get ready for bed, and then fall asleep with some random show on.

10:00pm - bed. lately i haven't been falling asleep for at least 30-45 minutes, probably due to the later run, later dinner, etc. so i'm roughly getting in 6-6.5 hours of sleep if i'm lucky. (even less if i get up to run in the am)

~11:00pm-5:30am - sleep, or something like it. i tend to wake up once or twice for the bathroom, because i'm too hot/too cold, or just because. if i try to get up and run in the am, i usually get up at 3:30 or 4 to get ready and head to the treadmill for 60-90 minutes.

5:30am - repeat.... hooray!

i'm certainly not looking for a pity party. life is not bad, and i am of course grateful to have a job in this time of so many layoffs. it's just a little tiring at times, but i'll make it. it has definitely made me appreciative of the days when i'd get up at 5:30 to run and not head out the door to work.

38 comments:

  1. First of all, you lead a busy life! Secondly, I run at night or in the evening too and now we eat so late! I don't like it at all. Finally, you are always up-to-date with blogging and now that I've seen your schedule, I'm totally inspired. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, your schedule is insane and I honestly think you are AMAZING for keeping the running schedule that you do! That is awesome milage for NO free time! You are an inspiration, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg that makes me so tired just reading it... i cannot even imagine. AND putting in 68 miles! you are AMAZING!

    i just got the best gu package ever!!! :) LOVE the card too... its on my fridge - thank youuuuu!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a great week! That schedule is rough; it stinks when you have to "fit" running in; it starts to feel more like a have-to than a want-to. Hang in there; your'e doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fitting it in is tough- I too and not looking forward to it getting darker earlier :( Way to get it done though- good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hardly wait for when I start working my 12 hour shifts. I will have to get up at 4am, leave at 5am, start work at 6am-get off at 6:30pm, home by 7:15ish, then "my" fun starts if there is any energy left in the tank after running around the hospital for 12 hours! UGH!!!! Why can't I get paid for the things I really love: bike/run/swim/swing???!!!
    Again, your weekly mileage is crazy! I'm just so damn happy that I should be able to hit 300 for the year!!1

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so dedicated! Its really cool how high you value running in your life too. Stay strong, and keep your head high, and hopefully one of these days you CAN run at the crack of dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, you'd probably be running 100+ miles with a more normal schedule. Any chance you could do some of the shorter runs at lunch?
    Congrats on a superb week! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how you manage to get in so many miles and still stay sane with a schedule like that. I would have gone postal months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, your schedule sounds like mine! Glad I'm not alone! I get up at 4am..so I'm usually in bed around 8:30pm but otherwise...we've got the same schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, what a packed day...i can't imagine commuting to work an hour each way (although that could be some good alone/reflective time, depending on traffic)....for you to run as many miles as you do, with that schedule, is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's def a busy schedule but good job getting it all done. I feel ya on the no sleep thing. 68 miles! Holy crap girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy smokes - my monthly miles and your weekly miles are about the same. you're a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First - congrats on the PDR last week!

    I do not envy your days AT ALL. It's amazing that you fit in all the miles that you do...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm tired just reading about your schedule! Way to get it all done.

    And great job last week. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one long-@$$ day, girl. And that you STILL get your running in deserves HUGE props.

    PS - I'd trade this bod for your speediness anytime. Warning - this bod doesn't come with boobs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man that's one heck of a schedule you have to deal with. Having a long commute sucks. I always wish I was out running instead of commuting too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your job eats up a lot of your time. How you manage to run and run that well - it boggles my mind! I'm impressed. Good job!

    and YAY for great runs now that they are back :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i hate how life gets in the way of what we love to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find I don't sleep as well on Tuesday nights, and it probably has something to do with the fact that I run and eat later in the evening those days when I typically run in the mornings. I can't imagine doing that repeatedly. You're awesome... and I love the positive attitude! Sometimes it is hard to remember that having a job is a good thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome running week!!!! You have a lot going for you!! Your self discipline will take you very far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Um, wow. That is truly an insane schedule, girl! I cannot figure out how you fit 68 miles in there last week!

    You are seriously awesome . . .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Reading your daily schedule made me tired! I need a nap now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 68 miles with so little free time--you are amazing! Too bad your commute is an hour. Living near work has given me so much more time than before.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the miles, that's very impressive. That's about a two-weeker for me. 9+ hours of running, that's pretty cool, most people would never conceive of doing something like that. What a jam-packed day, I don't get how you can still go out and do your long runs (and fast too!) I used to wake up at 5-530 for a job I had one summer, it was hard..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah, you and I kind of keep the same hours and get about the same amount of sleep but I run, what, 20 miles a week when I'm not sick?!

    I know the feeling of getting up in the dark. I just wish you could see more of the sunrises, they are the best part about my running in the morning. To be able to see the change in colors in the sky is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. You are doing such a good job. That is a tight schedule. I'm amazed you have time to read other blogs, but I'm glad you do.:)

    I'm really thinking about your advice about not taking the running pack. They have water stations every two miles. I'll be picking up the information today, so I can maybe plot it out on the course. I think it was your "possibley getting a PR" that got me."

    You are an inspiration, Lindsey, with your hard work and dedication. Thanks for sharing part of yourself with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow I could never run or eat that late, I am impressed! That is definitely a busy schedule.

    I didn't know about jet blues "cheets"! I love that, I'll have to follow them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I could keep that kind of a schedule for a week, tops. You're one tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great picture of the sunrise!

    Yeah - I was a little suprised when I read the artcle and they mentioned the issue with too many calories ingested. Who would have thought?

    And thanks for the words of encouragement. As nervous as the thoughts of a mrathon make me, I *know* I am in physical shape to do this. It's time to get mentally tough now....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aron just referred me to your blog. LOVING IT! I run Jack's program, too so it's really fun to read about since few people are nutty enough to take on his crazy training program.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think about life in terms of pre-economy and post-economy. Post-economy --> very few options. No good.

    BTW, I passed one part of my CPA. And of course, no running for me until all 4 parts are done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have something for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's a whole lotta mileage, my friend! You are nothing short of AMAZING! Oh, and dedicated - that's quite a hefty schedule you have there! YOU ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad you liked your part in my race story. But, seriously, I took off the water pack because of your comment. So, thanks for the input. It was a good day. Now I'm going to train for some 5K's.

    Also, I awarded you the "honest scrap" award...you know... in case you have a spare hour laying around that needs to be used. :) Actually it ended up being ok to share about myself... Of course picking you was a given...you're encouraging, dedicated and a good role model.

    Hope you're having a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lindsay, I have to say...you are AMAZING! Your job sounds very interesting, but with your insane schedule, I cannot imagine how you can be such a regular and sincere runner. Hats off to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, sounds just like my daily schedule, except you are getting in much more quality training then I am. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  38. "8:00-9:00pm - stretch (sorta), do some abs (sometimes), shower, eat dinner." Most of my weekday run days look exactly like this (with my 7 p.m. group run leading things off). Thanks for this - it was both inspiring (other busy people fit it in!) and comforting ('sorta' and 'sometimes' were important phrases for me)!

    ReplyDelete