Friday, April 20, 2012

from boston to bagram

did you know that the boston athletic association helps provide a "shadow" event for our troops in afghanistan (and formerly iraq)?


hosted and coordinated by the u.s. army's 10th sustainment brigade, the b.a.a. generously provides official finishers medals and t-shirts for participants and volunteers free of charge. runners ran almost three laps on the roads around bagram airfield to log the 26.2 miles, and volunteers set up aid stations every mile (my employer hosted one of the aid stations).


the marathon was open to anyone military or civilian serving in the afghan area of operations. most of the participants were already on the bagram base, but some traveled from as far away as kandahar (340 miles away).

is it just me or does anyone else want to go afghanistan to run the "boston" marathon now? bagram 2013, who's in?

ps: capt. anthony calingo, interviewed in the video, ran a 2:55 but as you heard him say he's "not really competitive". what?!

video from defense video & imagery distribution system (dvids) an operation that provides a connection between the media around the world and the military serving in iraq, afghanistan, kuwait, qatar and bahrain.

26 comments:

  1. Well, it might not be as hot as Boston this year, so probably worth a go! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't think it was nearly as hot as boston this year but i believe bagram is at a decent elevation so they contended with that instead. in another video i saw one guy said it wasn't as hot as the "boston" he did in iraq a couple years ago.

      Delete
  2. I think since I did so terribly in the heat in Boston that afghanistan may not be the best place for me to race. :)
    I love that they do this though. So cool!
    How are you feeling? I hope you are doing well!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty neat that they did that for the troops. Always like to hear and read about good things like this :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing. I think they had a Army guy that ran it on marathontalk? Not sure. But that rocks and esp your company being involved. I would come along, but I have a race in the Philippines that time. Maybe 2014? 2:55 and not competitive? I guess he's just being a bit modest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's easier to qualify for Bagram, but the obstacles tend to be more dangerous. In all seriousness, it is incredibly cool that the BAA does this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. yeah there wasn't a qualifier, just the minor detail of it being a warzone.

      Delete
  6. That's pretty great! Hopefully not as hot as Boston this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's pretty cool stuff!!! Well done BAA~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly wouldn't want to be in Afghanistan for any longer than necessary, but running that marathon on the base would be kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. woo hoo! i knew someone would have to join me :)

      Delete
  10. I'm out. But I'll be here cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cool! Glad you posted it—it's a side of the Boston Marathon I hadn't heard of, and a really heart-warming side of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know, and that is so cool. I love the idea. I will get my company to sponsor a water stop next year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice of your company to sponsor.....they can send you to Kentucky for over a year, but not to Bagram to help out with the race??? Hmmm, I'd be looking for a new job! LOL

    Great idea for the troops and for anyone else who participated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no clue... And yes, if that's not competitive, then I don't want to be competitive ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to run someday with you a marathon... I love it Lindsay.
    Greetings from Spain!
    Take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats awesome! Im signing up for Bagram 2013 now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is really cool. Do I have to register for the Army to be able to run the marathon? The idea of that training to 'qualify' for that marathon scares me more than trying to qualify for The Boston.....

    ReplyDelete