Tuesday, August 7, 2012

clean on the road

this weekend josh and i drove (yes drove) to binghamton, ny for a wedding. what should have been an 11-hour drive turned into a 13-hour drive thanks to "road construction" in pennsylvania. we split the drive on the way up and stayed in harrisonburg, va so that wasn't bad, but the 13-hour drive home sunday was just boring.

binghamton on the other hand must be the other armpit of america. granted i only saw the "downtown" area - deserted and full of sketchy folk. they were hit pretty bad with a flood last fall so i guess i'll cut them some slack.

not my photo (from facebook)
anyway, as the title of this post suggests it was a bit of a challenge to eat within my self-set dietary constraints. there aren't exactly paleo/primal/real foods fast food restaurants on the interstate ya know? i brought some baby carrots and peaches, and picked up pumpkin seeds, sweet potato chips and grapes on the road. friday's breakfast was complements of the hampton inn 'buffet' - scrambled eggs and mixed fruit. i also took a couple bananas for later. both rehearsal and wedding dinners were salmon with salad or veggies (i skipped on the potatoes both nights).

careful, don't fill up on the 4 grapes and 1/2 apple
my back is feeling better again (good enough to workout somewhat normally) but i'm still taking it easier until it fully heals. i did a little workout saturday before the wedding - running a whole half-mile on the hotel treadmill while oscar pistorius ran his opening heat in the 400 and qualified for the semi finals. i followed that up with a cross fit style workout: 21-15-9 man-makers (20lb weights), squats, and push-press jumping jacks (21 of each, 15 of each, 9 of each). the man-makers wore me out.

i didn't get to watch as much of the olympics as i wanted due to being busy with wedding festivities, and streaming them over my phone on the drive home didn't go over as well as i had hoped. not the clearest picture but as josh pointed out - i was watching a live event taking place many miles away while driving down the interstate.

women's 400m hurdles (heat) i believe. what you can't see them?

17 comments:

  1. That's a tough workout to be hurting before you start it! I hate man-makers.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did two 12 hour drives this weekend for a wedding too! Ugh! No fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate, hate, hat riding in the car. Hate it. And being gluten free and dairy free it IS definitely tough to eat on the road. I always pack a small cooler. You are going to waste away if that is all you are eating. Sheesh!

    I am glad your back is feeling better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are doing awesome with the paleo diet. Seems very healthy to me, actually, though the no dairy part would be hard. Yay for the back feeling better. And wow, amazed at how you and Josh can just hop in a car for an 11 h drive # young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dairy is very hard! I want a pizza!! :) And the car ride was rough - I was stiff for awhile after getting out.

      Delete
  5. Glad the back is feeling better. I was all preoccupied with a wedding this weekend. Also, who skips potatoes? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's hard enough eating healthy on the road at all, much less when you're trying a specific diet like paleo, primal, or have to be gluten free, etc. I'm glad you found some things to eat though. I hate long car rides too :(.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've started packing tons of my own food when I travel so I'm not at the mercy of truck stop food. My traveling companions generally end up jealous! ("wow, that southwest quinoa salad looks much better than these Oreos")

    The man-maker looks intense! I'm going to give em a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I meant to prep better and pack a cooler but then decided not to because I didn't want food going bad in the event our hotel room didn't have a fridge (and it didn't).

      Delete
  8. Being primal/Paleo curious and trying to ease into it, finding somewhere to eat with my family on the way home tonight was no fun. A longer road trip...well, I'm glad I've got a while to figure things out before we take one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. America says they want to help the obesity epidemic, yet, they make it way toooooo easy to stay fat by still supplying gross food while on the road.
    I love road trips....
    Been catching the Olympics whenever possible, however, for some reason I feel like I'm missing most of them. I wish they started earlier in prime time, it sucks to have to be in bed by 7 or 8pm.
    Glad to hear the back is improved...thanks for always being a text away on my long runs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eating while travelling is always a challenge for me. We often travel for big races and I find it difficult to eat right the day of travelling and that is most often the day before the big run. Packing my own preferences seems to be the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ran a half mile faster than Pistorius ran a 400??? Impressive!!! ;)

    I have my 12 hour drive coming up next week. Not looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I didn't say that! I was running while Oscar P was, not beating him, obviously.

      Delete
  12. Those little blurs look fast!

    Way to stick with the "diet" on your road trip. Not an easy feat. I think I would die in the car for that long. Especially without combos and diet coke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Binghamton is the armpit, I've been to places that must be the crotch of America (ever been to Camden NJ?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurdles are no joke!!

    ReplyDelete