Tuesday, November 3, 2009

nyc marathon: pre-race - keeping my cookies down

j and i departed good ol' kentucky on what was probably the first flight out on friday morning. way too early for my likings. as usual, the nausea made itself present, but i continued to suck it up as i have for the past few weeks. as we were in the air, i thought about how flying probably wasn't the best idea if this turns out to be an inner ear infection. we landed in la guardia and found our ride to the hotel. our driver was an entertaining woman originally from colombia with excellent horn usage skills.


i wanted so badly to lay down when we got to the hotel (a nap often helps calm the nausea/crap feelings) but it was only lunch time and they claimed they had no rooms ready for early check-in. we left our luggage and walked however-many-blocks to the expo. like danica of chicrunner, i'm not that big on expo's. throw in a little sick-feeling + all the crowds, noise, lights... well, it was all i could do to get in, get my bag and get out. i did stop and get a quick pic of ryan hall signing autographs. the marathon edition jackets were nice, but i'm just not the kind of person that would ever wear it again. call me picky. i really couldn't handle the sensory overload so we left to get some lunch.


traveling with food allergies is so fun... just a bit of sarcasm there. i settled for subway, and then we went back to the hotel in hopes that they'd let us check in early still. thankfully, we got our room and i slept until dinner. i woke up feeling a little better, and we met some friends for dinner/hanging out at houndstooth. i gave in and had one drink, with the excuse that it'd help me fall asleep since i'd taken a solid nap earlier. luckily, it also seemed to soothe the nausea and i wondered if i'd need to sip on a brewsky during the race. {hey budweiser, sponsor me!}

view from the hotel room, pardon the non-stellar iphone camera quality

saturday... slept in! (til like 8) got up, walked around manhattan a bunch. probably ended up walking about 5-6 miles, which probably isn't the best pre-race day thing you can do. we stumbled upon the international friendship run/parade and hopped in for a bit. that led us to central park where we saw the finish line for sunday.

korea with funky music in the parade-y thing

this guy wore this for the international friendship run/parade and the actual marathon!

a smile at mile 26... for now

the nausea came/went throughout the day, and was strong around 3:30-4:00pm so i got some plain pasta with butter from espn zone. (i'd kill for "real" pasta but didn't know if the sauce was safe). that ended up being my pre-race meal as i didn't eat again later (i'm not sure what influence, if any, the early dinner had on the race). eventually got back to the hotel around 7 or 8 and got in bed for the night, though didn't fall asleep til maybe 11.

my blah-ness clearly wasn't going anywhere even though i'd taken it easy for a few weeks and focused on nutrition and sleep. i went to bed with more than a few nerves that i wouldn't survive the race. i was very nervous about collapsing and not finishing. i tried making a few jokes about it to j but he just kept telling me to shut up and that i'd live. since i've now survived, i can openly admit the nausea has been a major pain in the rear to deal with these past few weeks and i was really afraid i wouldn't finish.

up next: the actual race day! :)


about that nausea...
i finally went to a general practitioner today (tuesday). unfortunately she couldn't come up with any answers. they ran a urine test and found out i'm not pregnant (coulda told ya that doc). it also said something about sort-of low protein but that could be from concentration as i had used the restroom less than two hours prior. my ears have some fluid but they aren't inflammed. they collected a couple vials of blood and hopefully i should have those results back tomorrow or thursday. she asked if i had any other symptoms but i just don't. the only suggestions she could make were that 1) i had a form of one of the viruses going around that my body was fighting off for the most part or 2) the mold has supposedly been bad this season with all the rain and it could be what's making me feel bad. umm, how the heck am i supposed to fix it if it's the "mold" answer? i swear some days i think i'm allergic to being alive...

40 comments:

  1. You poor thing! That stinks! Well, I can't wait to hear the rest of the recap. Hope they figure out what it is bothering you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I think that not knowing what is making you feel cruddy is the worst. At least if you know the cause, you can try to do something.

    Can't wait to read the rest of the report. At least we know you made it to the end (and with a great time, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd laugh if Bud offered to sponsor you after this post!! It's so hard being in a new city for a race... resting vs. exploring, it was the same for us in SF. Hope you get some answers soon and start feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are seriously one of the funnest bloggers to read. I can't wait for your race report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pre-race story. Hmm...does the naseau go away during the race?

    Sounds like you don't fULLY enjoy the scenario with this nagging naseau and thinking about the race.

    I hope the doctor figures things out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nausea... ugg. I like how you had your D tag on the day before. Super organized and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you went to the doc! That sucks that you felt icky that weekend. :( Can't wait for the race report!! On edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you saw a doc. hopefully you'll get some answers that you can do something with.

    looking forward to the next part of the race report...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nausea sucks. I'm so impressed you still went ahead and ran!
    (the bud effect is funny though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you didn't blow chunks at the finish line! Sorry, I just had to post a gross comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the doctor figures it out fast!!!

    Great start to your report; even feeling not so great, you got us pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nausea....UGH. I live on that road! Chronic nausea avenue! Looking forward to the recap-hope all the tests come out good and hope you get an answer. Unfortunately with medicine, we have to run all these God forsaken uncomfortable tests to rule things out and then what's ever left over? Well, that's what's wrong with ya! Sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I often think I am allergic to mornings, usual of the Monday variety.
    does the nausea dissapate when you run at all?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I'm so excited you've started your recaps! I am not however, excited that you're STILL having nauseau probs. No bueno girl!!! I hope they figure it out!

    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brutal. I'm glad you got in to the doc... hopefully you'll end up with some answers/solutions. That's got to be awful.

    Not a good feeling going in to a racw wondering if you're going to finish or collpase at the side of te road. :S

    ReplyDelete
  16. A friend of mine had similar symptoms, plus dizziness, like the room was spinning, and was told the same thing, after even neuro evals. He is all better now, but it lasted a while. Such a pain, though. I would have been so terrified to race! Looking forward to the report!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOSH congrats on the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6:22 PR!!!!!!!! this is what i want to do :) and i think i really want to run NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Traveling and feeling sick has got to be the worst thing. And then to have a marathon to run, you are one tough cookie!!

    I know you PRd so obviously something went right on race day and look forward to hearing more. I hope you have an answer soon on that nausea too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, if that is the case, you're far from alone. Apparently, mold allergies are coming out for a lot of people due to the weather this year. And people are developing them who haven't had them before. I had to get an inhaler for the first time in 5+ years thanks to e.i. asthma or possible reactive airway disorder that hadn't been an issue for a loooong time being re triggered by mold spores. (!!?) And I had some random bouts of nausea and dizziness this summer as one of the fun side effects.

    As a result, I ran the marathon on Sunday with an inhaler stuck in my sports bra. :-/ I was told to stick with OTC allergy meds and to try and get rid of old bedding, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohhh so you are just going to keep us waiting for the whole story :)

    but UGGG this sucks!! i hope you get it figured out soon what is making you feel crappy :( not fun! and you still ran an amazing time after all of that.

    new york must be so amazing :) i am with you though, i get very overwhelmed at expos like that, and on top of being sick, yikes!

    cant wait for the rest of the report!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to read that you felt nauseous... but you still put up a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you get better soon. Nice pic of Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you went to the dr.--I love it how if your female you can't be stomach sick with out them thinking you are prego! I had that a couple years ago and they finally gave me some good pills and it finally went away--I kinda thought it was a dehydration situation...I don't know. I hope you feel better!!! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you were able to get to the doc! Thanks again for the pics of Ryan Hall! Can't wait to hear how the actual race went!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you went to the dr too. Sheeseh!!! That stinks. :(

    Also, EXPOS suck. UGH. I hate all the freaking people freaking out about gus. One time someone stepped on my foot and made it BLEED. AT AN EXPO. Get real people!

    ReplyDelete
  26. An Eiffel Tower marathoner? Funny! Cute pic of you smiling at mile 26!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You poor thing! I get that feeling a lot too for no reason . I don't even bother with doctors. I just nap and hope it goes away. It is affecting my running though. What food allergies do you have? I think I have a dairy sensitivity so that one kinda sucks... amazing how much stuff has dairy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You poor thing! I get that feeling a lot too for no reason . I don't even bother with doctors. I just nap and hope it goes away. It is affecting my running though. What food allergies do you have? I think I have a dairy sensitivity so that one kinda sucks... amazing how much stuff has dairy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, that would be the worst to feel like that all the time. Hope it all gets sorted out very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, at least you aren't preggers! :) Hahaha, good to know!

    But seriously, I am so sorry you were still feeling crappy during the pre-race hours . . . that would make me super-crazy extra nervous! Yucky. I hope they can figure it out and fix it soon!

    Can't wait to read the rest of your NYC report! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Let's hope the blood test says something! I don't know how you've put up with it this long....

    Bishop is this little town about 20 minutes south of Mammoth Lakes (where all those runner guys train). I like it becuase it's close to the mountains (I'm actually a mountain type of guy), but still low enough in elevation so there is no snow shovelling that needs to be done in the winter. IMHO it has the best of everything - fishing, hunting, hiking, backpacking, climbing, skiing. Everything that is except jobs.....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah, when I read that you slept in on Saturday, I thought you missed the race! But I had already read the post that had your finishing time, so that didn't make sense. Beer before a race, huh? Maybe I should try that out too..

    ReplyDelete
  33. omg i hate feeling nauseated. it's actually worse than pain. i hope it clears up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mystery nausea is always fun. Just think about how fast you can go once you kick this mystery nausea from your system!

    ReplyDelete
  35. "allergic to being alive..." I know that feeling, especially when I was a kid living in Illinois. The higher humidity there really amped up my allergies and asthma. And I hadn't yet figured out that I could consume milk... so I was ALWAYS sick. But when I moved out to the uber-dry west, a lot of my allergies were greatly reduced. I guess it's because molds don't really thrive here.

    Looking forward to the race day report!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am the total opposite, I could spend all day at an expo.. Love all the hustle and bustle. Of course I am an event planner by trade so it sorta runs with the territory..

    Good job going to the DR. I hope things are better and you are keeping your cookies in..

    ReplyDelete
  37. I share your expo hatred. I get so excited for them, until I get there and remember that I'm claustrophobic and averse to pre-race posturing. To the dude decked out in seemingly every piece of race gear from every previous marathon he's run: I GET IT. You've run these before. Soooo impressed. To the two dudes in line talking in blase tones about how this is just a throwaway race for them: We're all very, very impressed. At least there's free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well, you answered my one suspicion about your nauseousness...I was wondering. Are you allergic to gluten? Could that make you nauseous? have you switched hotels lately? I'm just wondering if there's been something new in your environment that might have kicked up the nauseousness.

    ReplyDelete