Thursday, September 9, 2010

midnight flight: swept

week in review (8/30 - 9/5)
total miles: 28.50 (43 planned, yup)
time spent running: ~ 4 hrs 16 mins
avg hr: 171.75
avg pace: 9:15/mile
off days: 3

while i slacked (majorly) on the miles, i did run three races! yup, three races in one week. one night, actually. it was kind of like a track meet, but harder. regardless, my friend ryan and i cleaned house; he actually took home some money though whereas i just got some towels, oh and a ribbon.

anyway, after a grueling day of sitting at my desk at work, josh and i drove down to anderson for the midnight flight races. the temps were in the upper 70's and slowly cooling off, but not by much. it was humid too, but since i still don't sweat i didn't notice it too much.

first up was the 1-mile race, which started at 9:15pm. yes, the family fun race. i eyed my competition at the starting line...


i briefly contemplated a warm-up, but ultimately was too lazy. i figured i ought to conserve as much energy as possible for the races. not the right mindset, i know, and i'm sure i could've gone faster in the mile had i warmed up.

the race started promptly, but the start had been lined with kids so it took a second to push them out of the way (i'm joking, i promise). i quickly pulled ahead of the crowd with about 10 dudes. shortly after the turn-around two of the guys (high schoolers) stopped to wait for their friends, and i picked off a few more guys before heading in to the finish.

probably the best action-shot of me ever

after collecting my blue participant ribbon i turned around to congratulate the 2nd and 3rd place females:

they're way cuter than that ol' hag who won

midnight flight 1-mile: 6:12, avg/max hr (186/195)
1st place female; 4/354 overall
i really think i could've had a shot at breaking 6 if i had warmed up and ran harder (obviously). garmin said 6:04.

i gulped down some water and went back to the car to change my bib and d-tag chip. i headed off for a trot around the parking lot to stay loose, and stopped to chat briefly with a co-worker who was doing the 5k. i had about 30 minutes between finishing the mile and lining up for the 5k (10pm) and it flew by quickly. i took a pineapple roctane (gu) before the 5k in hopes that it would help with post-race recovery/soreness as it advertises and of course to give me a little boost mid-race. plus, i knew i still had one more race after the 5k and a roctane sure wouldn't hurt.

the 5k is the largest event of the midnight flight and i was not anxious to get up near the front. my legs were already tightening up a little from the mile. i never formulated a strategic plan for this night of racing, and because i'm stubborn i ended up going as-hard-as-i-could in each of them. that dizzy/light-headed feeling i had last fall? it came back again.

going out, the 5k is a gradual downhill and flattens out for a bit before the turn-around (all three races are out-back). nice going out, but a little tougher on the way back. i found myself striding back up the hill with relative ease, picking off a good number of people. nothing exciting about the 5k, except i was pleased to see a slight improvement from the 5k two weeks ago when i approached the finish (especially considering i'd done a lactate-inducing mile before it).

and you thought you had a bad race-face?

midnight flight 5k: 22:59 (avg pace 7:23), max hr (197)
1/57 age group; 129/1020 overall

by the time i caught my breath, chugged some water, went back to the car to change my race bib and d-tag chip one last time and jogged maybe a quarter-mile to stay loose, it was time to line up again for the 10k (11pm). i shot another pineapple roctane and chatted with my friend ryan for a few minutes before settling in the pack. i distinctly asked him if he was going to win, and he said "yeah right, the 5k was rough". we both questioned why we thought we should sign up for multiple races.

here's my big yellow butt talking to ryan

like the mile and 5k, the 10k was out and back as well, except now there were two long downhills and two long uphills. somehow they are the kind of downhills that you can't just coast either. my legs were tired and the dizzy/light-headed feeling was even worse than it was before/during the 5k. i am now thinking it is caused by running hard, because it first happened last year after a tough track workout. anyway, i pushed through the 10k, motivated by an (annoying) group of high school girls and determined to not let them beat me. the last hill (not quite a mile long) was tough, but i slowly picked a few people off like the previous race. i was elated to finally reach the turn to the finish for the third and final time that night.

more great race-face

midnight flight 10k: 51:56 (avg pace 8:21), max hr (199)
3/17 age group; 130/371 overall

the 10k seemed much bigger 5 years ago when i ran it, but turns out it's still about the same size. back then there was a whole awards ceremony after the races, but this year you just picked up your award at an inconspicuous table. not a big deal though. back in 2005 this race was my "re-introduction" to running after taking a few years off from high school cross country and i ran a 51:05. i suppose i've improved some if i can run a similar time after having run 4.1 hard miles.

oh and here's my buddy ryan, "not-winning" the 10k (33:00) after placing 3rd in the 5k (15:25):

43 comments:

  1. Wowzers, that's a lot of FAST races in one night! Congrats on winning the mile and awesome job on both the 5K and 10K too! Lovin the pics... you look FAST and MEAN! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job! I love imagining you racing hard against those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoooHooo Great racing!

    I love that one photo too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that's a lot of fast races for one night! Awesome job. Way to kick your opponents ass in the 1-miler...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DAYYYYummm... WOOT WOOT! you ran like the WIND. 6:12 get it got it GOOD :) hehehe.

    nice job!!!!!!!!!! and i LOVE the action shots of you. (and omg those little girls running are adorable!).

    and seriously who is your runner buddy friend?!?! he ripped it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some good racing. I could never do that many hard races so close together; I'd get way too stiff. But them I'm old and only getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job to both of you! Love the race faces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woh- a 10K AFTER a 5K and mile, you are nuts---in a hardcore way ;) You have great running form in the mile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang 3 races in one night! You must be crazy. Sounds like you had a fun time and did really well in all of the races! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so badass in your pictures! I love your commentary about the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 races in one night??? And you podiumed all 3??? Damn. You are crazy!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the best action shot ever, you look strong, really strong. This is your season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your pictures are so fun! cant believe you did three races in one night...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job and great action shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3 races in one evening. I don't like evening races to start with and then three of them... Not so much.

    But you just killed it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job! That is definitely a great picture of you. You look really fit. Your competition looks like they're up past their bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, girl....6:04? Holy cow I didn't know my weight loss buddy was such a studette! Those races sound like so much fun - though exhausting!! You earn my gold star badge for the week, girl!

    And yes, let's DO PP next year. I ran it last year and the year before and though I said I was done with it forever, I'm thinking I need to revisit that mountain one more time. Let's do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dude, you kicked butt and those photos make you look like a child-pusher out on the open road.

    Those averages are pretty rocking especially in the "wonderful" heat and humidity.

    I'll remember the NSFW tag in future nudity posts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ditto what Marlene said....I think the pics are great! You look so strong and fast! Unbelievable you could run a 10K that fast after a great 5k!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWesome! You come back strong and are very inspiring.

    And what's this about you and Jill being weight loss buddies? Can I join in? I need to lose between 10-15 pounds and started trying on Tuesday. Dumb time when I am not running but I have to do something!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a pretty good action shot and it's priceless when paired with the shot of the "2nd and 3rd place competitors". Some day those girls will be fast because they learned from you to never let up!

    So, Ryan pretty much kicks some serious ass. Can we recruit him for Ragnar? Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. GREAT races! The one-mile is amazing, but even more so that you did two more speedy races consecutively! I am humbled... :) And thanks for all the comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HOLY MOLY, 3 short races in one evening?!? I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to run back to back like that. CONGRATS on all three strong performances. And can I also say what wonderful arms & shoulders you have too? Seriously, you look like a strong swimmer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love reading your race reports and this was a 3 in 1 deal -- packed with awesome. Sounds like a fun night aside from the annoying lightheadedness.

    You look badASS in these pics! The kind of runner I would be intimidated by. The fit/ripped rower's shoulders are evident. Looks like you kept yours or just have them naturally... I hope I don't lose mine.

    Pardon my nooby-ness but what flats/trainers are you wearing to race in?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the photos, especially the kids, they looks like a great potential good runners someday. Great post anyway!!!

    zbsports

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for making me laugh, both here and at my blog. I missed you, and I'm glad I'm back to blogging again. No creative congrats to share, since it's 5 a.m. as I type this. So, congrats, and HAVE a FUn weEKenD! Ha-Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Three races in one night? I think you're my new hero.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats Lindsay!! three races in one night!! and more congrats for that 1st place!!! amaizing!!
    Veryyy good race times!!
    hugs,
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look so fit in that picture! Your competition, on the other hand, look like they're up past bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Great racing! Apparently, I need some ROCTANE....it makes you like the energizer bunny...right?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for inspiring all of us who really want to run the mile fun run, but thought it might seem a little socially unacceptable when competing against children.

    You kicked their butts!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for inspiring all of us who really want to run the mile fun run, but thought it might seem a little socially unacceptable when competing against children.

    You kicked their butts!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like your approach. When you rest, you rest well, when you race, you really race! Awesome. I'd love to do 3 in a rows, though I can only imagine how much that 10K hurt. And your mile, dang, amazing! Congrats, I see big things for your running this year!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hey there -- i found you through seejessrun. and holy moly you are fast and speedy and awesome! what a great night for you. and you totally should have pushed those little kids out of the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are so freaking fast! Congrats to you! Nice work on that first place finish! I loved your race report and great photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. You win for best action shots!!! Hahaha and I just love the photos of the lil girls too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tremendous efforts! I can't imagine how speedy you'd be if you actually had been able to put together a solid training month!

    Great photos too. That last one shows the pain of the 5K....

    ReplyDelete
  38. IN answer to your question ....I don't know but I had edited the post and changed the title which may be why the address was different and had the original title. I never noticed that. Did you get my email?

    ReplyDelete
  39. When I started reading this post, I thought to myself, 'man I want to run a race like this." Then I read on and reality hit, 'heck no, that's way too hard!' My 5K yesterday was hard enough, I definitely wouldn't want to do a 10K after that (although I do want to try a mile race since it's been years).

    Congrats on placing in all 3 races and kicking those little girls' butts (I'm sure there were older runners too, right!?). Glad you were able to run the 10K again, since it was your 're-introduction' race. I actually missed mine this year, but maybe I'll do it again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG INSANELY great fabulous job! and um all of the above pics are great.. That top pic is so great, Id probably post a picture on the ceiling above my bed (if i were you) so you could be that proud every time you opened your eyes in the morning b4 a run... :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. oh my god, love your race faces,they are too funny!

    so that's kinda interesting, all the late night racing. love the 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

    and yeah...right...like i'm supposed to believe you didn't push them down in front of you, lol....

    ReplyDelete