Wednesday, January 28, 2009

my legs don't hate me afterall

yesterday and today i woke up at 5:00am with all the intentions of running before work. i really need to get back in that groove soon, because in a few months i will have no choice! i haven't ran in the morning in months (not counting races of course), and i love running in the morning. it makes me more awake and alert throughout the day, and i love the extra peacefulness since very few people are up at that hour. well, i love the quiet, dark, solitude for the most part... when i'm not running a million "what if" thoughts through my head. it's a little easier to not trust people these days after what happened to my dad, so i've been a big chicken about running in the dark.

needless to say, i have yet to make my return to morning running. on sunday and monday i caught up on season 4 of lost, so when i was contemplating yesterday morning's run i started thinking i'd be out running and hear those voices (along with all my other standard scaredy-cat thoughts). i wimped out and went back to bed, knowing i wouldn't be able to get my run in until about 8pm.

today i just wimped out. it was raining drizzling misting and foggy, and hard to tell myself to go do it since i knew i'd have time later today. i actually went out for a run on my lunch break (there are showers at work, don't worry) since j got sent out of town for work and we always eat lunch together. without my lunch date, i laced up and went for a run. it was rainy and really really windy, but a pretty good run for my slow and boring easy pace. i didn't eat much for breakfast/all morning so i got weak, light-headed, and shaky after about 2.5 miles, but i finished it out. my legs are starting to come back to life. thank you legs, welcome back!

monday (1/26): day of rest
tuesday (1/27) late pm run: 5 miles, 46:49 (9:21 avg pace), treadmill
wednesday (1/28) lunch time run: 6 miles, 54:39 (9:06 avg pace), avg/max hr (158/171)



this is quite delayed, but my pal denise over at rundmt is having (has been having) a fabulous giveaway that ends on saturday! so hurry up and go check out her blog/enter the giveaway so there are even less chances that i will win!! ;-)

15 comments:

  1. I love running in the morning mostly because I am way more likely to do it! Good luck getting back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your legs are coming back. You're almost halfway through your recovery. You should have a half way party and make some of those hard boiled egg cookies that Jess made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run every morning mainly because it's the only time I have to do it. I wake up, drink some coffee, change, and go. Once you get in the routine, you'll love it. You'll feel great the rest of the day. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for the legs coming back to life! i'm sure you'll get back into your morning routine before long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really like morning running. I ran at 4:30 all summer long, partly because it was so peaceful then and partly because that's the only time to beat the heat here in Las Vegas. But as soon as it got cold (for me) I couldn't drag myself out to run in the morning. I was going to run this morning as well, but I ended up doing it during my lunch hour.

    Glad your starting to get your legs back! You've worked hard and they need a little recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been able to make myself get up before work, like you it would have to be at like 5am. I always have good intentions, but just can't get out of bed. It is yucky out this morning, not very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love running in the morning, however I can only do it on weekends. I totally hear you with getting back in the grove. Right now, I am so out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love running in the morning too when i can actually get my butt out of bed... lately thats been a task :) i need to get back in the habit too. glad your legs are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back legs. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray! Welcome back, Legs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back legs! I can't do morning running, but I always want to get into the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wish i were a morning person, because that would be a peaceful time to run. unfortunately, i love hitting the snooze button. and i'm pretty grumpy in the morning.
    lost, don't get me started, i love that show!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooo wish I was a morning person. Would make life a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love running in the early morning. The sun has been rising a bit earlier each day and I love running watching the sunrise.

    BUT, it's been a while since I've ran in the morning, too. I've been soooooo lazy. I feel your pain girl...literally! ;-)

    BTW...Thanks for the plug! :-)

    ReplyDelete