Sunday, January 4, 2009

tapering is boring

it pretty much sucks. you hardly get to run (giving me even less subject matter to babble on about) and you're still supposed to eat a decent amount of calories to fuel up in preparation for the big day(s), making me feel awful about myself. blub blub, jiggle jiggle. somehow the scale keeps reporting lower weights though... must be broken. i've been trying to focus on drinking more water the past few days so i don't run into any dehydration issues. last week i noticed i tend to not drink any water until lunch time or later and obviously that's not going to do me any favors.

my 'long' runs this weekend were 6 and 9 miles. double-digit days, i actually miss you, you always make me feel skinnier while also allowing me to eat more. i can't wait to re-unite with you next weekend, although i might be a tad more excited about getting to eat 9,000+ calories on saturday. that may be a stretch, but you catch my drift. i do have to re-fuel and try to pre-fuel at the same time.

since i can't go long, i went hard-ish in saturday's 6 hilly miles. part of my typical post-run-recovery is to mix up a protein drink, and i was wondering during the run if tsa will allow me to bring a ziploc bag of brown ("chocolate" flavored) protein powder on the plane. i am definitely gonna want some quick protein in my system post-races, and thanks to my lovely food allergies i usually can't eat the post-race food. i also need to bring a bunch of gu roctanes which are of the gel-ish consistency and i'm not so sure about jamming those in my toiletry ziploc. i don't really want to check my bag because when jess and i did baltimore back in '06 they lost her luggage and she didn't get it until the day after the marathon of course. hmm. maybe i'll just jam the gu's down my pants in true xc^2 style and hope they don't pat me down. ;-)

sunday i was supposed to do 8 but i extended it to 9 easy. still not too long and i tried to keep it easy (hr in the 150s) but it was being difficult. my hr wanted to hang out in the 160s no matter how much i tried to slow down (and i was already going quite slow). i finally settled into my normal, easy pace within my target hr once i reached 8 miles. so really, i did an 8 mile warm-up and a 1 mile easy run. on previous long runs i've noticed that some of the randomest songs pop into my head and today was extra unique - "the farmer in the dell". i don't have kids, my sister's don't have kids, i haven't even been around kids lately, haven't watched kid's tv shows... so apparently the taper is getting to my brain as well.

saturday (1/3) mid-day run: 6.1 miles, 48:23 (7:55 avg pace), avg/max hr (175/187)
sunday (1/4) mid-day run: 9 miles, 1:24:41 (9:24 avg pace), avg/max hr (161/186)

10 comments:

  1. oh no! Now that song is in my head! LOL Hope you don't go too crazy with the taper...try to enjoy it before your races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pack a recovery powder with me along with gels in my luggage ALL THE TIME. I've never had an issue with it. But I know some people who have.

    Take your chances. Put it in your carry on luggage. Hopefully you'll be fine.

    There always the option of if they do take it, you can pick something up at the expo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often get a song stuck in my head. But, farmer in the dell, that truly is taper madness. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - taper sucks big time. Not only the reduction in miles, but being the hypochondriac that I am, I start freaking out about every little niggle and aches.

    The Gu should be fine - I pack mine in my carry-on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I can't wait til 9 miles seems like nothing. The farmer in the dell, the farmer in the dell, hi ho the dairy-o....thanks a lot for getting that one in my head!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going a bit taper crazy as well. Some lady completely tripped over a curb last night and plowed into my left leg while I was watching the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. My head went into this long drawn out scenario of "what if she had broken my leg, or torn my ACL?". Of course it didn't really hurt at all...just surprised me.

    In any case, I spotted the staging area/finish line while on the monorail to Epcot yesterday and that brought back some pretty cool (and some painful) memories of last year. I'm reminding myself to be laid back about the whole experience and just trying to relax.

    I have to admit that it's easier to get out of bed for an easy 6 mile run than it is for a 12 mile tempo run.

    Hang in there.

    What's with blogger not allowing me to comment with my name and URL anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your taper, you certainly earned it. I know it hard, but relax you will need that energy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy taper :)

    I thought TSA was going to get rid of that stupid fluid restriction? Wishful thinking, I guess.

    Sounds like Kim had a solid suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate tapering! I had to keep reminding myself that I was saving up all the energy for the race, but it just makes me so antsy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about if you put the Gus way inside your clothes (I mean, roll them around and around and around) the gels? or put them in their own ziploc bag, inside of the toiletries ziploc bag? that way you wouldn't have to worry about either group poking the other one and then just having a gelatinous mess.

    i was also thinking like kim - maybe they'd have stuff at the expo?

    can you buy any single servings of the whey protein? i usually get it in the huge container, so I don't know, but that might be an alternative?

    i'm glad to hear you also want to read that "this i believe" book. it's like a breath of fresh air. i'll have to think of something inspiring for you to think of during your runs this weekend.hopefully i can come up with something good like I did with alissa a little while back in october. :-)

    ReplyDelete