Wednesday, August 5, 2009

product review: mix my granola

mix my granola is a fairly new health food/company out on the market. i think i've actually been a member of the facebook group for over a year now, but i think it still qualifies as "new". back in july i was offered the opportunity to mix my own granola (mostly) on the house. with my various food allergies, how could i refuse the chance to create my own allergy-safe snack?

i present, chasing the kenyans granola™.



how fun is the packaging? a cylinder tube which just so happens to be 100% recyclable - stamp of approval from my inner tree-hugger. the tube is sturdy and the lid stays on securely, making it easy to bring on-the-go.

the gist of mix my granola is that you click through the ingredients and create your own personal mix. you start with selecting a base granola and then add fruits, nuts, seeds, extras (these tend to be not-so-healthy goodies) and enhances (powders). it's a very simple process and quite enjoyable. the first time i created a mix i added in a ton of stuff, but then realized i probably wouldn't have much actual granola in my mix with all the extra ingredients. i simmered down.

chasing the kenyans (mix-id: a188b84f) is made of organic granola, dried raspberries, dried blueberries, dried pineapple, organic banana chips, organic flax seeds, organic cacao powder, organic quinoa powder and lots of love. if this sounds as good to you as it was for me, all you have to do is enter the mix-id on the website and click order - simple!

yes, you can mix in m&m's and i'm sure you are wondering why i left them out. unfortunately m&m's, and all chocolately goodness, aren't available to mix in the summer months as the granola is mailed to you and the chocolate would most likely melt. obviously in a few months i will be ordering chasing the kenyans² with m&m's mixed in!

the granola was excellent. though it arrived in south carolina about a week before i did, it was still fresh when i was able to pick it up! the dried fruits are amazing. i have had a bit of a phobia of dried fruits from when i was a kid and my mom always gave us dried mango snacks from the philippines, but i think i am cured. i can't get enough of the dried pineapple and banana chips especially!

the downside to mix my granola is the price. it is a little pricey for 16oz of granola, even though the quality is terrific. chasing the kenyans granola™ costs $17.81, including shipping costs. they do offer some small discounts - like buying 4 cylinders (of the same mix) and getting a 5th free or free shipping on orders over $40. mix my granola is a little pricey to order regularly, but it does make for a tasty, healthy and allergy-safe treat that i will certainly allow myself to indulge in from time to time.

what are you waiting for? time to treat yourself! head over to mix my granola and check it out - you won't be disappointed.

19 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Thanks for sharing! What a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the packaging is super cute! Your mix sounds very good too. And, since I am sure you keep stock of M&M's you can toss in a handfull on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds amazing/utterly delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm yum..even better with M&Ms, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, sounds like a tasy mix! I have played around on the site a few times and always get carried away with add-ins and bail on the order. Maybe I'll try again...

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot about mix my granola, and it seems like there are a lot of companies like this popping up all over the place (like me & goji, things like that). I'd love to try my own mix, but I have to say the price is a real deterrent! I kind of feel like maybe I'd be better off making my own. It wouldn't be as good, but it also wouldn't cost close to $20!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of this product and it does sound cool, especially if I can add candy to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just mix in your own Canadian french-wrapped M&M's. lol Sounds yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like good fuel for a distance runner - this would probably taste great sprinkled over yogurt

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of several different "custom blend" products lately and it seems brilliant for people with food allergies... or who are picky! I love that threw some quinoa in there. My husband and I like quinoa a lot and it's such a nutritional powerhouse!

    I have been intrigued about trying some of these things, but I'll admit... the price is a bit of a deterrent, I'm a cheapskate! :-)

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm your mix looks delicioso. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummmm i have been wanting to try this!! but like you said its a little pricey :-/ sounds so good though! love your mix minus the pineapples :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm, come on granola people, hook me up with some!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not into granola, but it would make a great gift to my husband, who loves it. Hmm, now I have to decide if he is worth the $$$:) Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. 18 bucks for granola...hello Trader Joes people!

    Yummy or not that's 4 Seasons prices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Check this out: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe/index.html

    Still the best (and cheapest) way to tailor your own granola to your tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy!

    Thanks for posting a thorough, honest and entertaining review! We linked to your excellent post on our blog, *Product Review Round-Up* under the category of Food & Beverages. The link is embedded in this listing:

    NEW 11/8 – Runner Lindsay custom mixes a power breakfast from Mix My Granola (names the mix – ‘Chasing the Kenyans’)


    Again, many thanks!

    Happy Trails to you,
    Grace and Tiffany
    The Uncommon Cowgirls of Product Review Round-Up
    http://productreviewroundup.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete