Wednesday, July 11, 2012

to do or not to do

i've been feeling the marathon-itch the past few weeks, even though i'm not even in shape to fill out a registration form, let alone 'run' one. i found two of interest in mid-november, laid out a very basic training plan, and realized i'd have to start training this week. as in, with my 80-year-old's back. i'm thinking it's probably not that smart to start a training plan while you're already crippled.

i never fully defined any goals for 2012 but one that i did write down (informally) was to chill out and not run any marathons this year. in dealing with my skin issues i wanted to give my body a rest. if i 'succeed' at not running one, i will break my little streak of running at least one marathon a year since 2006. i had essentially talked myself into taking the year off, and then i talked to my dad about it...

my dad knows that i am sometimes too hard on myself. he knows i used to get stressed out if i missed a workout and he thinks that unnecessary stress could have contributed to the decline of my health (skin). i figured if i talked to him about my marathon temptation he'd talk me into taking it easy this year. wrong. he basically gave me the green light, provided i don't get so obsessed with it again.

oh the dilemma!

[for the record, at time of writing i am pro- attempting a marathon this year. maybe i'll see how training goes, how my body/health holds up, and register closer to race day. or maybe i'll change my mind. again.]


look at my excitement
thanks for all the well-wishes for my geriatric back. it's been feeling a little better each day and i've continued to get adjustments at the chiropractor. at one visit i was having some additional lower-back cramps (unrelated to the injury), got adjusted, and very shortly after had an urgent call from mother nature. the cramps immediately subsided; i'm thinking the adjustment opened things up so to speak. the workings of the body are all connected (no part operates alone) and chiropractic care is not just for back pain!


i went to boot camp monday and did a personalized, very remedial workout. i felt pretty dumb doing it, but at least i was moving and not laying in bed eating potato chips. while everyone else did wall balls, burpees, etc, i did step ups (8") and sat down on a bench/stood back up. i don't think my heart rate got above 60. my back handled the workout just fine and i'm cleared to do a 'medium' workout today. i need to take a few more days off from running since there's all that repetitive pounding involved, but i think i'll be ready to go next week.

be the turtle
[obviously the photos are unrelated, but you can't have a blog post without pictures because those are boring. thankfully my mom recently scanned a bunch of childhood gems and gave me her snapfish password. note: i am the younger, cuter (obviously) one in the pictures.]

28 comments:

  1. The pilgrim pacer run looks like beautiful scenery. I'd be sorely tempted. But you know me. I give terrible advice. Maybe you should rest your body and plan a January 2013 race instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed because technically I could do a New Year's day race and have met my "goal" of not marathoning in 2012. (It seems weird to have a goal to not-do something)

      Delete
  2. I love the old pictures in this post because I just love looking at old pictures in general. I'm glad your back is doing better.

    As far as the marathon goes, I like your approach to training for it. If all else fails you could do a half instead and plan for a full later, don't blame you to wait until close to registration to actually sign up with everything you've been through this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos!
    I think you could do a marathon as long as you are smart about it and not overdo it(and your back gets better). If it was the first time you were doing one, I'd feel differently but you know what it takes to run one and I think you'll make the right decision for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have an ointment for that itch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pics....it's always fun to reminisce with one's past!

    In regards to the marathon itch....I ask you to ask yourself this question and then YOU decide.
    "When is it time to stop calculation RISK and REWARDS, and just do what you know is right?"

    Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the pics. So cute!! :)

    I say plan it, keep the training low key, and just see how it goes. Or, you could plan to meet me in Arizona in January. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pro-marathon for you to. Not so much for me unless it is at the end of an Ironman. I think I have sworn them off but never say never.

    If you can do the training and not push yourself and realize that you are going to run the race and not race the race will that help?

    I'll email you every week to make sure that you are not getting too serious if you say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about walking a marathon? You continue your streak and, if the urge hits (not that kind of urge), you can run a little. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pictures and I'm glad you said they were unrelated because I was trying to find the correlation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I knew they'd throw people off. They're just for entertainment.

      Delete
  10. I said I was going to run one every other year, but I haven't stuck to that plan. I know what you mean about the itch. I hope whatever you decide to do, you will feel at peace with it. If you think you are able to train, and not get too serious, then I'd say go for it.

    PS - Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the marathon itch too... but I don't even have any idea when I'll be able to start training again! I am starting to think that even doing half before the end of the year may be pretty questionable.

    I think it would be great for you to have the goal to focus on, but I agree with your dad about being easy on yourself. Just like you mentioned with chiropractic care... the body is amazingly interconnected so an issue in one place can manifest elsewhere! (whether that is the skin or the bowels or somewhere else!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg the one of you and your present is hysterical! what is that with which you are so unenthused? love it.

    also, i vote green light on marathon. and as bon qui qui says, but don't get crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're just pissed your sister got the worldly globe and you the exciting exciting sleeping bag (?? is that what that is?)...and yes, by far the cutest child :).

    I'm saying yes to the marathon...and if you ever feel like you'r pace is slow while you bounce back, you can always come look at my pathetic snail's pace and feel much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being fully trained and ready for a marathon has never stopped you before! ;) Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pics Lindsay!! you look so adorable!!!
    I always says that when something is in ours mind is because we know that we can do it, the only obstacle is to convince us that we really can do it and offcourse the trainning-commitment :-)
    Go for it!
    hugs
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny, I'm also taking a year off from Ironmans and can't stop looking at half Ironmans and thinking of ways to quickly train and get one in! I've been doing shorter triathlons to ease the longing and I have a marathon at the end of the year so that helps. But as others have said, if your heart says do it, then do it! Doesn't have to be a PR, but maybe it will be the best experience you've had yet because you'll go in with a completely different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow the green-light from dad! Those pics are gems. What a cool mom you have to be scanning...more than I am capable of, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lindsay! Giorgio is sending the flag back to the USA to Christina from "Lazy Bones Running". So you can most definitely still get it. It doesn't matter how many USA flags we put on it. So let her know that you re interested.

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha! I love the random pictures :) Glad the back is doing better too. Looking forward to following marathon training and seeing how things progress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can do it!!!!!! You've got lots of time to prepare.

    As a person who has lost "The Itch", I can say if you've got it; Scratch Away!!!!

    Hope your medical issues sort themselves out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, I don't stop by the blog for a couple of weeks and you throw out your back in protest? ;-)

    Hope your back is back to normal fast and feeling the itch again for marathoning is awesome!

    When are we going for a bike ride on the swampy?? This Sunday, next Sunday??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, I was trying to figure out the photos. Like, where is she going with this?

    Kind of nice to see you itching for a marathon again! No harm in keeping it on the radar and seeing how things play out.

    ReplyDelete