Tuesday, July 31, 2012

coconut pancakes

today i am here to show you that you can eat "breads" while eating primal-ish/paleo-ish/whole foods/whatever you want to call it.

don't worry, this won't turn into a foodie blog. c'mon now. you know i can't cook.


last night for dinner i made coconut pancakes (from paleospirit). they turned out pretty good, though i think they would have been better with some honey or pure maple syrup on top (i didn't have any so i ate them plain).

4 3 eggs (i only had 3)
1 cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp coconut nectar (coconut sap) agave
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
+ 1/4 tsp nutmeg (i found this in the pantry while digging out the cinnamon and threw it in)
coconut oil for frying too lazy. and they weren't sticking to the pan.

makes 6-8 pancakes

they were hard to flip neatly though

they look dark but i don't think they were burnt (tasted fine). i had the heat on "4" out of 9 and didn't leave 'em on long.

nutritional info:
serving size = 2 cakes
calories - 200
fat - 9g
carbs - 19g
protein - 11g

[i used the sparkpeople recipe calculator to determine nutritional information]

the bag of coconut flour has directions for cookies on the side... i probably need to experiment and see how those turn out right?

16 comments:

  1. I don't like coconut unless it's fresh, but this is a nice simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE coconut! I'll have to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try throwing in some shredded coconut next time. I'm not crazy about coconut but I don't mind it and I wonder if adding some shredded coco would spice them up.

      Delete
  3. That looks awesome are you kidding me. Chef L......in da house.

    And you don't need oil to cook ANYTHING. People throw oil into everything and all they are doing is adding fat and fat calories. Don't tell me about healthy fats, blah! blah! blah!.....get the healthy fats from almonds and nuts and avocado and leave the oil at the store. It is processed so the molecular changes are occurring and thus not exactly the same thing......sorry I will get off my soap box now.

    Anyway, that looks great and now I will add shredded unsweetened coconut to my rice cakes.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did these have a coconute taste to them? I don't really like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to me, though I don't feel like a lot of straight coconut (vs with added flavor or sugar) has a strong taste to it. The flour smelled good though, haha.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen coconut flour, but that's pretty awesome that you made pancakes from it. They look really tasty. I should try to find it and make something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at Whole Foods for $5 for a 1lb bag or container. Earth Fare had it for $10. Haven't seen it at Trader Joe's and haven't looked for it at "regular" food stores like Publix, etc. Let me know if you find it for a better price!

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of pancakes, but I am a huge fan of Mounds bar! They at least have "real" coconut and not fake like the M&M's did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those m&m's were a disappointment! How can you not like pancakes?!? Blasphemy...

      Delete
  7. I love everything about this post—the recipe itself, the "heck no this isn't a food blog" disclaimer, the use of the phrase "primal-ish/paleo-ish/whole foods/whatever you want to call it" (there's something about saying "paleo" that makes me cringe, even though it's kinda how I eat). One thing's missing, though: Did you like them? Would you make them again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like them and I did eat them again! The second time I put slices of peach on top in lieu of not having any syrup or honey on hand.

      Delete
  8. I'm one month into my Paleoesque diet and I just did a post about missing pancakes and splurged and ate one on Tuesday. I'll have to give this recipe a try.

    I'm not a very good cook, but I've been cooking up a storm since on this eating plan. I'll be officially on it for 3 months (until my bf's 50 miler) I'm not sure what will happen after that. I also miss sitting down to eat a big ole bowl of granola for a snack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These definitely satisfied my "need" for bread-y products. I don't have the pickiest/most sophisticated palette and they were close enough to the real thing for me! At least you only splurged on one?

      Delete
  9. I made these banana almond pancakes and they were incredible, didn't even require a flour sub although I have since bought coconut flour and used it in a few things! http://www.lazymarathoner.com/2012/02/banana-almond-pancakes-aka-paleo.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coconut? Why not just throw a handful of dirt in the batter? (Yes, I don't like coconut).

    ReplyDelete