Thursday, December 31, 2009

in ten years

i saw a recap of the past ten years on someone else's blog and realized how this closing decade marks ten years of running for me! (on and off, but still). i'm also thinking it's probably the more exciting decade of my life because it included the college years and what will really happen when i hit the 30's and 40's. investing in a roth ira is so exciting...

2000 - ahhhh y2k ahhh! i was in 10th/11th grade, had just finished my first season of cross country ('99) and ran my second season later in the fall. my older sister graduated from high school and when we dropped her off at college everyone cried but me (and i think my dad).

2001 - apparently i've done a good job of blocking out dorky high school memories because i can't think of many. in the spring semester of 11th grade i got iss (in school suspension) for lying to my teacher. my friend and i convinced our us history teacher that he (my friend) was the soccer team trainer and had to leave early for away games. we got caught because someone in the class freakin' told on us. what the heck; lame! as an honors/ap student the iss 'teacher'/supervisor didn't think i should be in there and let me run errands for her instead. (and yes, said friend was rather cute of course). also in '01 i started taking some college classes at a local college because somehow i didn't need anymore high school credits - i had "late arrival" and "early dismissal" as some of my "classes". i had a 7:30am (or so) english class and remember hearing about the first WTC plane in the car after class, and assumed it was a small plane that had malfunctioned somehow. when i got to (high) school later that morning, i broke the news to my spanish teacher who didn't believe me until we turned on the tv near the end of class.

2002 - senior year; not as glamorous as it is on mtv. i quit soccer and cross-country; went to prom. i was the last class to graduate my old high school before they tore it down and turned it into a walmart, so some of the teachers let us spend the end of the year graffiti-ing the walls. i cut out a piece of the track as a souvenir (one of the "4's" from lane 4). i started college in the fall, joined the rowing team, learned that just because i never had to study in high school does not mean college will be as breezy...

2003 - survived freshman year; had a great group of girlfriends from the rowing team. had a much better 2nd semester grade-wise, though mandatory study hall didn't help - too many distracting male athletes. moved into first apartment where we had the best neighbors and funnest block parties. i attempted to make pancakes one night and almost set the complex on fire. the blackened, crisp pancake was hung on our front door as a warning to others. i began running again but didn't keep any stats.

2004 - more college antics. moved into new apartment. still casually running, but not yet ocd enough to log stats.

2005 - worked two internships on top of my part-time job at the crack house (aka cracker barrel). also helped out with the local special olympics group - those 'kids' always brightened my day. went to nyc for christmas, saw my best friend graduate from college, began tracking my mileage/time on runs.

2006 - set my car on fire! (yes, on accident) got a new one. ran my first marathon! began interviewing for jobs. major fail at first interview - actually told the guy i wasn't planning on having kids so that wouldn't interfere with my career (yes, seriously). needless to say they did not call me back. got a job somewhere else. college graduation! sad but exciting. began my first big-girl job, made friends with the other college-grad hires and still acted like we were in college. bought a house (offer was accepted on my 22nd b-day). made running friends in my new town. ran another marathon.

2007 - most of the new running friends quit running except one (kt), began running "hardcore" 40 mile weeks with her. participated in a medical study at md anderson in houston, tx. ran two more marathons. took a random, spontaneous trip to san diego for memorial day. took a random trip to nashville in august. older sister got married. met josh, tried to flirt, he was oblivious.

2008 - finally "really" trained for a marathon, bq'd. went to visit a friend living in st. kitts, still jealous of her! started helping out with old high school cross country team. started this blog. helped josh flip a house. experimented with buying individual stock and doubled up (go ford!).

2009 - did the goofy challenge and ran another marathon. spent 9+ months living in hotels/working in kentucky and am now a celebrity at the hampton inn. got engaged. had my wisdom teeth pulled. hit a deer. beefed up my savings.

i still have yet to review my '09 in running and make plans for 2010, but i'm pretty awesome at procrastinating and not-getting things done, what's a few more days. so, until next year! happy new year all!

35 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm your first comment! Isn't amazing what can happen in 10 years when they go by so fast?! I think this next decade is going to rock for you with lots more milestones! Way to go on all your marathons! You're a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I would have to think really, really hard to review the last 10 years and actually remember stuff! Congrats on all you've achieved! A house at 22! 2010---wedding??? Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. quite eventful decade you had there!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, you were still in high school while I was in law school. I suddenly feel very very old. ;p

    That said, perhaps it is ironic that I still lives like a college student due to being so broke ;)

    Though fuck, I've said worse things in a job interview. Which probably explains my point above. Ha.

    Also: I too almost burnt down my apartment while in college while cooking. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, you were still in high school while I was in law school. I suddenly feel very very old. ;p

    That said, perhaps it is ironic that I still lives like a college student due to being so broke ;)

    Though fuck, I've said worse things in a job interview. Which probably explains my point above. Ha.

    Also: I too almost burnt down my apartment while in college while cooking. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a nice decade! Well, except for the car catching on fire, but at least you got a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a very exciting decade. Hopefully the 10's is just as exciting as the 00's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fun to look back on the entire decade! I had a small moment of shock as I read this, realizing that my decade-by-decade blow doesn't include any school... made me feel momentarily old! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was awesome. I wish I had time to sit down and do the same . . . because it's super neat to see all that's happened in 10 years! Perhaps at the end of the month--when crap settles down--I will do this too! For now, I'm lucky if I can squeeze a quick post in! Off to do that now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fried the engine in my car my senior year in college.. LOL!!

    So fun to look back. This has been a BIG year for you.

    I have always been pretty godd at interviews...I tell myself I LIKE it..

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe that the world trade center attacks happened almost ten years ago. We got married three weeks after the attack.

    It's amazing how quickly ten years can go. Hopefully the next ten will slow down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great decade recap. I hadn't given much thought to the decade ending, but it is amazing what we go through in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They tore down your high school and built a walmart?? OMG, that just cracked me up. How this country HAS changed!
    Great ten years, I wish I could remember the last ten years! I'm lucky I remember today!
    The fact that you were still in high school during the last decade really makes me feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tore down a high school for a Walmart? Didn't Joni Mitchell have a song like that? "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Yeah I know. Showing my age.

    Whata great wrap up to a great time in life. I had such great life experiences in that time period during and right after collge years that I had to do it three times (I have two BS's and an MBA - and yes - that's a lot of BS...)

    Here's wishing you and your family a happy, safe nd prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! It's been quite the decade.

    How cool that you got to "close out" your high school and leave your mark. Love that you took a piece of the track. (Do you still have it?)

    I had to LOL at the pancake story.

    Happy New Year! Here's to the next 10.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, Ford is your stock recommendation. Maybe the stock market is your calling. LOL.

    Love the Decade post. You have had a great 2009. Best wishes in 2010 and the next decade of running.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You have definitely come a long way in ten years, no? It's very insightful! I guess there'll be plenty more where that came from in the next decade!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 10 years go by so fast. I was just a little pup ten years ago. Im still a little pup, just slightly older. I'd look back on my last ten years, but so much of it I'd rather not bring back. However, this next decade will kick ASS!

    Here's to 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Awesome look back at the last 10, here's to hoping you accomplish everything you want in the next 10 as well!! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suddenly I feel very old! Still ain't what you do it's the way that you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I have to say that you have had quite an eventful last decade. I wasnt in highschool the past ten years, so I cant include that in my last decade thingy if I did one. I only started seriously running a year ago. Way to go on all of your accomplishments running and non running. I did do track and field my freshmen year, but quit after that and started hangin out with the smokers and bad influential people. lol So, you set your car on fire? Cool. I hope that this year will bring you many running memories. I just had one today that wasnt great, but I learned something at least. Take care. happy New Years Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year, you had quite the decade, thanks for recounting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey what a great decade! lots happening..
    and cant wait to see what you got in store for 2010!!

    thanks for the comments and thoughts on my post.
    Happy New Year!!
    rockon'

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review. Here's to many more great decades.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great recap, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my gosh! I love this idea. I can't believe how quickly 10 years went!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aren't all men oblivious?! (Funny how that is the first thing in your post I comment on. Ah well.) But seriously, I had to ask my HB out, so I understand where you are coming from.

    Ten years ago, I had been out of law school for 2 years. Ah, I feel old now. Thanks.

    Your life has changed so much in ten years. Pretty amazing. Glad to hear how you worked with the special olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fulfilling 10 years...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I envy you for running after school. I jogged off/on. I wonder if I had been as committed as you, where I could be at with my running today.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year, Lindsay! How the crap I missed the "I'm engaged post" I don't know! Congrats! 2010 is gonna rock!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Haha great recap! There seems to be a theme with you catching things on fire:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, now you've got me thinking about what's happened in my life in the last 10 years... eeek, that's almost too overwhelming to deal with.

    I lol'd at your high school being turned into a Walmart.

    I can't believe you bought a house at 22. I'm 27 and still renting. A house just seems like too much responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a fun decade in review-- it is so great to look back! You've come a long way and done so much. I am so very impressed you bought a house at 22. I'm also impressed that you've been able to hold your life together despite all the hotel living and traveling. I don't think I could do it. Be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's amazing how far back you could remember, 10 years is way too long for me. Wow, bq-ing didn't seem too tough for you was it? I recently saw the times that are needed to qualify and it'll be a long time before I ever get to that level, someday though.

    ReplyDelete