Tuesday, December 8, 2009

product review: go lite (and stay warm!)

{forgive me, but i am writing this as i watch the biggest loser finale - the only two hours of tv i watch. holy crap i am loving the surprises and shockers :o) that is all. no spoilers here.}



it snowed a little friday night/saturday morning and was a lovely 25* for my saturday "long" run of 9 miles. i was pelted in the face with flurries for the first half of my run (brrr) and once i turned around (out-and-back) the snow flurries stopped (go figure). for whatever reason, i didn't bring any warm running fleeces with me to kentucky. i did have a new, thermal/activewear shirt from go lite though, which i donned as my base layer.




on top of that i wore a long sleeve tech shirt from the goofy challenge earlier this year and my reebok running jacket (to help keep the snow/wetness off). i am used to running in a nice, warm fleece when it hits the 30's or below, and i was quite relieved to find i was perfectly comfortable in less-thick layers. i wore the go lite shirt again on sunday when it was 35* with just the reebok jacket on top, and was pleasantly warm-enough again. i may also be wearing this as a baselayer for work here soon - it is getting chilly out there! i'm still trying to hold off on sporting my long johns, but i may be breaking them out too. do you know how cold a porta-potty is when the high is like 36*?

anyway, i used to be an under armour girl, but i'd easily get too hot, too cold or constantly flip-flop in between the two while running. the go lite shirt kept my temperature more balanced and made for comfortable runs in both 25 and 35 degree weather.

i would prefer to not go to jail (thanks ftc), so i must inform you that go lite and their fabulous pr company graciously gave me the shirt so that i'd brave the cold temperatures and run outdoors this winter (or perhaps for my review, whichever). they also sent me the "travel-lite tote" which has come in handy in my never-ending packing and unpacking between south carolina and kentucky. the travelite tote is made from 100% recycled content and has tons of pockets (11!) and storage space for all your various sized belongings. i have found it to be great for traveling as well as everyday use.



go lite is another one of those companies that speaks to my inner tree-hugger. i'm no extremist, but i do try to do my little part with recycling and taking care of the environment. they carry a variety of other products as well, including apparel for men and women (i especially like the badlands trinity soft shell jacket), backpacks, tents, fuel belts, suitcases and other travel bags, sleeping bags... all made from recycled and environmentally preferred materials. from their website --

You want to get away from all the stuff—the blaring music, the gadgets, the never-ending load of work and the glut of more, more, more. So you go light. You head out on the trail, because you want to experience nature on its own terms.

You value adventure over advertising. Memories over souvenirs. You don’t want to clog the planet with more stuff. You just want to have pure, simple, heart-pounding fun.

Therefore you GoLite.
sign me up! when my grandfather passed away last october, i helped my mom and aunts clean out his apartment. it was crazy to see all the stuff we accumulate in life and leave behind when we die. i took it to heart, and have since been rather non-materialistic. i think i'm actually kind of a pain now at christmas/my birthday because i never want anything. well, i'm always down for a cool vacation; my passport has room for more stamps. as go lite says, "memories over souvenirs"!

27 comments:

  1. Why would you go to Jail?? am I missing something UGH!!

    I love my GoLite bag :)

    COLD...I wimped out today...will try again tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I need to start kissing some sponsor's asses so that I can get free stuff to review. The go lite stuff looks good, but it's too expensive for my tastes. Cool that you got it for free though! I appreciate reading your unbiased review however, unlike other blogs that seem to find everything they get for free the greatest, then shamelessly bombard their blogs with ads and links for the products they've gotten for free. I think you know who I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate getting dressed for a run then overshooting it & getting hot - I'd rather be on the cooler side. This shirt makes it pretty brainless (perfect for moi!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great product. Here I am gearing up for tomorrow's expected sub zero run. I badly need to refresh my memory on how I do those...

    ReplyDelete
  5. memories over souvenirs -- love that! Great review! Sigh, the snow has arrived here now :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the product review. I enjoy UA as well, but I'll have to check out go lite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so much better than I am! I haven't been running outside at all :(
    Treadmill and I are BFF's. Go Lite sounds awesome I will check them out!!! I call it simple living--I feel the same way--we have too much STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the memories over souveniers idea too. Rich and I always put money away for a trip or go out to a nice dinner for Christmas/birthdays/etc. instead of getting random gifts just for the sake of buying something. Brrr...thinking about a cold hiney in a freezing porta-potty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Under-armor also and have the same issue: Too hot or too cold. I might have to give this a try. On my long run I got cold and put on an extra layer. This made me sweat more and then get chilled because I was wet. It’s hard to find the perfect balance.
    Love the snow, and use to love running in it when I lived in VT (19 years).

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Memories over souvenirs" is totally my mantra in life!

    Great review although you didn't sell me... I don't need that cold weather ish! Thank you Florida sunshine! Sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was interesting about UA leaving you too hot and then too cold. I've never tried it, so it's a good heads up.

    I agree about needing more stamps in my passport. One great thing about traveling is that you can enjoy the experience and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like some good stuff. I love that tote and the top sounds like a good quality base layer.

    I don't even want to think about portopotties at 35 degrees. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just got one of these bags and i am SO EXCITED!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That tote is so so cute! Like I need another though...

    I cannot believe you guys run int he snow. You are better runners than I because well, I'd hit the treadmill I thinK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love their stuff! the bag looks awesome. and i could always use new running clothes of course. quality stuff, too! it's so tempting just to go the cheap route...

    GO TBL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can get away with a long-sleeved cotton t-shirt most of the time. Luckily it doesn't get too cold for that here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lindsay! I found you over on Wendy's blog. Geeze Louise, you are fast! I enjoyed reading your NYC race report! I am hoping the third time is the charm for me and the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would never have thought to wear a warmer base layer covered by a tech shirt - i just automatically assumed it meant I should go to the fleece layer, which is what I did this morning, and then had another jacket on top, and got all hot! (how's that for a nice long, run-on sentence?) and i have to admit, i do like the look of that bag (although i need another bag like i truly need a hole in the head.)

    and why do you keep traveling without your warm clothes, lady?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice, I should try the shirt as I am either too hot or too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, same with me on The Biggest Loser. I usually DVR the first 30 minutes, then blast through the commercials.

    Sweet write up on the duds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yah, I heard about that rule which says you have to let people know you got free stuff. But you know just telling us that will probably actually make us try to figure out a way to get it for free too.

    That golight shirt sounds like a winner...how much is it?

    It's suppose to hit zero tonight with 27 below wind chills, plus it just dumped 16 inches of snow in our backyard.

    Wanna trade weather? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great shirt. We have trouble wearing shirts that keep us too warm and it's so hard running home with a shirt around my waist but this looks like it's kind of lightweight. Great job running in the snow, I'm still in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the motto . . . I may have to adopt that myself!

    Also, reading about all of this winter weather makes me shudder. I might have to stay down here in Florida forever . . . I can't imagine being suddenly thrown back into winter come February. That's just CRUEL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tote is cute. The shirt sounds interesting. I love the tech tops, but I do fine in those cheap cotton long sleeve t-shirts I get from races. I think it's a throw back from my poor college days. Not that I don't get super excited when someone gives me a running shirt of the more fancy variety. Maybe I'll golite to my Amazon wish list...

    ReplyDelete
  25. the go lite stuff is awesome- i love it

    ReplyDelete
  26. I use the Golite Hydroclutch and Hydrospeed runner's hydration systems. They both serve their purpose very well. I also own other Golite gear, and I can tell you from continued experience that it is made well.

    ReplyDelete