Monday, April 26, 2010

bahston: wicked fun weekend

the long weekend in boston was great overall (minus miles 9-26). josh and i flew in late friday night and hung out with my blog bff terri (middle of the pack girl) and her husband for the first couple of days. it was great to have our own local tour guide, especially when you (currently) live in podunk, ky where traffic = a 4-way stop. terri and family were excellent hosts!

saturday was chilly and rainy, and we had a slow start to the day. i contemplated running in the morning but it was 37* and i just didn't feel like being 'cold'. we hit up the expo to get our packets (josh and terri ran the 5k on sunday) and browsed around a little (impossible with the crowd, yuck) before we went to catch a duck tour. it was cool, other than the lady and her 10 kids who wanted to "drive" the duck.

josh is a yankees fan so i made him take a photo in front of the red sox 'duck'.

after the duck tour we tried going back to the expo so i could browse some more (i actually wanted to buy things for once) but it was still overly crowded and about to close for the day. i wanted to get one of the fun boston-accent shirts ("wicked fast runnah") for my time-guessing winner but obviously i didn't know who would win at the time.

sunday morning i again debated getting in a short, leg-loosening run in the morning but... yeah. i opted for a little extra laziness before heading into town to spectate josh and terri in the 5k (they both pr'd). it was my first time as a spectator and it is not easy! i have a newfound respect for friends/family who voluntarily spend a long morning to watch me run by for 5 seconds. after all that hard work spectating i went to an amazing brunch (sweet potato pancakes - yum) with even more friends (morgan, meg, jill, and marcia).

josh running his first 5k! :)

at brunch with meg & jill.

sunday afternoon i finally went out for a short, shakeout run and just hung out with josh, terri, her husband and ruthie the 75lb lap-dog :) we eventually had a huge, delicious spaghetti dinner. i'm pretty sure i ate more calories than i burned in the race monday.

[for those who asked - click for the definition of "htfu". i had to look it up myself the first time i heard it. i use "harden" and "hurry" interchangeably for the 'h'. there is a clothing line and facebook group for it.]

23 comments:

  1. I did NOT have to look up HTFU! Definitely know what that means..lol!! I really can't believe you've run 2 marathons in the last week! CRAZY! I haven't stopped eating for 4 weeks and pretty sure I haven't come close to burning even half the calories I've consumed. Oh Well!! Wish I could have met you-I really enjoy following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. And seriously, Boston is the best city, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend and *yay* for bloggy meet-ups! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yankees?? BOOOO!!!!!

    I loved Duck tours- I did the one in Boston on a high school vacation! I love that whole town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Race day! Race day! I saw a picture of you that Terri took. Never *ever* say your not fit! No wonder you run so fast all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And tell anyone who wants to see them, I've got even more pictures! Do you need some more of the actual race, in case Josh and I got different ones from each other? Like of the Japanese male minnie mouse? I heard he runs as a new Disney character every marathon he does.

    Ruthie the 75 lb. lap dog, I love it! And I took a good one of you and Josh, didn't I? :-)

    Glad you had a good time with us, we missed you guys when all the excitement was over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun so far...

    How cool that you got to hang with those bloggers?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear you had FUN!!!

    If the running part can't go as well, then at least the socializing part can. Look forward to more deets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you ran both Boston and the Derby back to back. Honestly, that is a whole lot of crazy and something I would totally do myself. I am going to check to see where you finished. I would have loved to meet you there, but maybe next time.

    Best of luck with your much DESERVED recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be a better ultra-marathon runner because I spent so much time as a spectator at my husband's races. Glad you liked my old home city.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see pics of you. You and I both don't post many pics:) Congrats to Josh, too. Boston 2011? We'll both have the race of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lindsay,
    God bless the Duck tours:) My hubby and I did that too when we went to Boston our first time!! I am so glad that you had such a nice weekend:) Great pictures!! I love the one of you and Josh! Oh, and the one with you, Meg and Jill!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun post, Lindsay. I hope you're recovery this week and eating a ton of M & M's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had fun, yes I'm jealous! Still waiting to travel (more than a drive) for a race..

    Hmm..standing in the cold for hours to watch someone run by (and maybe not even finding said runner) or being super tired while running the race, not sure what is worse..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful day! and friends!

    Not only all is run and run. Great Linsay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds like an AWESOME weekend so far!!! cant wait for the rest :)

    ReplyDelete