Thursday, December 18, 2008

why don't i just change my "off" day...

people. send me some motivation or something. i had a great run tuesday, and two so-so easy runs monday and wednesday, but i could not talk myself into running today. i'm still all motivated to run and get fast and stuff, but i just wasn't 'feeling it' today.

a big part of it is knowing i still have my 'off' day of the week, so it's not like i'm slacking off or cutting out any mileage, just delaying it. however, i also slacked off like this last thursday, and the thursday before that, and the wednesday before that... it's looking like i need to re-arrange my schedule.

a tiny morsel of it is the 73 degree weather going on right now. i realize this is south carolina and we don't really get cold weather, certainly nothing compared to what most of you have been toughing it out in lately, but it is december 18th. it is supposed to be like 50, not 70.

alright, i'm not totally complaining 'cause i hate being cold, but 73 just sounds like death-by-dehydration right now. the temps here are 70+ probably 9 months out of the year, but come on. i've just gotten acquainted to 40 and 50 degrees; i've forgotten how to hydrate for 70+ degrees and what it's like to sweat.

my most loserific excuse is that i'm going to brave the wilderness and go to the shops tonight to try and knock out some christmas shopping. i've spent $9 so far on presents, if that tells you how much shopping i have left to do...

8 comments:

  1. nice new look, even though i loved the old one too! :) LOL that you linked us Canadians for the cold weather examples... lol. By tomorrow, we might also be buried alive by a major snow storm headed directly our way... :( Good luck finding the right schedule for you... but enjoy your day off, and your next run will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to read "heart rate training for the compleat idiot". I swear the following paragraph was pulled from it:

    "people. send me some motivation or something. i had a great run tuesday, and two so-so easy runs monday and wednesday, but i could not talk myself into running today. i'm still all motivated to run and get fast and stuff, but i just wasn't 'feeling it' today."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's a big deal. Be flexible with the off day. Don't worry about it. In the grand scheme of things, if you get in all of your workouts for the week, then you're doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yeah, we definitely have some cold weather to spare up here!

    I can see how 70's in December would throw you out of whack. You were probably enjoying a refreshing break from the heat.

    Good luck with the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think being flexible and listening to your body about what days to rest are the most important. a lot of times a much needed rest is more productive than pushing yourself out to run when your body really doesnt want to. you are training REALLY hard and you definitely need those rest days too. my last training schedule was 5 days a week adn there were weeks where i just had to skip an easy shorter run because i just HAD to. don't be so hard on yourself - you are getting the big important runs in! you are going to do so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. I don't like running in 70-degree weather. Right here in the 40s is where I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya on the SC weather. I only ran 2 miles yesterday, but they were so much tougher with the heat and humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd kill for 70 degree weather right now!! I think you need to give your body a break. And change your day off.

    To give yourself some motivation, is there something you have wanted to get for yourself? running or non-running related? Maybe if you accomplish a goal on your next run, you can get it for yourself? Do you need new running clothes, etc.? Can you change a route? That might help.

    I'm sure you've tried stuff in the past that works for you, you just need to remember what they were and repeat! :-)

    ReplyDelete