Monday, March 9, 2009

let's take the bar down a notch...

week in review (3/02 - 3/08):
total miles: 42.25 (all easy)
time spent running: ~6 hours
avg hr: 163.50
abs & yoga: 1 ab day (barely), 0 yoga (for the 2nd week in a row, sigh)
off days: 2 (1 scheduled, 1 for the shins)

i was bummed all day sunday when i knew i wouldn't get in my scheduled 50-ish miles for the week. then i realized - i did run 42 miles, i'm not really training for anything, and there was a time not so long ago when i struggled to make myself run 20+ miles per week.

since when did 42 miles/week become not good enough?

i need to lower my standards for myself.

this time last year i ran 22 miles for the week. as of the 9th, i'm currently at 47 miles for the month, which i didn't hit until march 26th last year. (although, march '08 was just not a great month. i had a 10 mile week and a 3 mile week... yes week.)

i didn't even aim for 40-mile weeks until 2007, when kt and i thought we'd be "hardcore" and increase our mileage up to 40. only a year and a half ago, a 40-mile week seemed nearly impossible.

what is wrong with me? 42 is still pretty good for just running (not training for a race in particular), and i assume it's decent considering i didn't get an actual long run in (6-8 mile runs only).

later in the year i am planning on reaching some awesome weekly mileage, and i think i feel like if i'm not building/maintaining a semi-decent base now, i'll never get my mileage up high enough. since my shins are a little sore (though feeling better) i'm going to take this week easy. i'll cut runs short and even skip some if they want me to. i want to be able to run, train and race later in the summer and fall (nyc in particular!) and since i have nothing in the near future i don't need to mess around, log miles for no reason, and irritate my shins even more. after reading april's runner's world article about shin splints, i'm assuming mine ache from a combination of the mountain hills and my awesome stretching habits (/lack thereof).

i'm starting to be more reasonable with myself. 42 miles is good.

22 comments:

  1. i agree, don't be hard on yourself... that is some awesome mileage, and you should be proud of how far you've come! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, girl! Your non-training mileage is more than mine, & I'm supposed to be in training :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, 42 miles is EXCELLENT!! Don't overdo it girl!! (I'm speaking from experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with JoyRun - your Off week is still more than mine so I am impressed! But..I know what it feels like to be disappointed after certain expectations. Just feel strong - that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing just great. I'm always amazed by your mileage and kind of set your training weeks as future goals for myself in the future. I always read your weekly totals and say to myself, "maybe by the fall..." I really admire how you go out there and just do it without even having a race in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 42 miles is a good base! You're right - there's no reason to risk injury at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 42 miles is amazing. Seriously! Go easy on yourself and take care of those shins. You have some great things to look forward to later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly don't need to be ashamed about 42 miles. If it helps, find your planned peak training mileage for the year, and the date by which you need to reac hit. Then, assume you'll increase your mileage by 6 miles every 3 weeks (1 mile for every workout). So, just subract 6 miles every three weeks from the date where you have to be at your maximum and you'll find out where you should be at now. You'll likely find that it's under 20 miles. So, if you're comfortable running in the 30's now, you're ahead of the curve and can increase your mileage even more gradually.

    For instance, even if I want to reach 120 miles per week in October, I still only have to be at 36 miles per week in May. So, I'm sticking at 42 for a while.

    It's better to be under prepared than over trained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @brian - sounds like a good plan to me. gonna take me a few minutes to do that math though. i have a hard time with counting backwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 42 miles is amazing especially since you aren't training for anything. I think after racking up the mileage it is hard to think anything less than 40-50 is good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 42 miles is awesome. I'm guilty of the same thing though... from time to time the distance needed to be considered a "long run" gets longer and longer, thus I berate myself if I don't cover that new "level" I've set for myself.

    Of course, having a hurt butt lately... a 1 mile run feels like a victory! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 42 miles is very good! Especially if you're finding little places here and there sore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously girl, 42 miles is AWESOME!! I didnt pass 41 until last week and its 4 weeks into a 12 week marathon training. you are doing great and definitely dont need to be so hard on yourself :) get those shins better and be happy and PROUD of your awesome 42 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What do you mean -- only 42 miles? You are so slacking! And, why is your goal only 50. ROTFLOL

    I'm not serious at all. You're right -- we get too serious about our running sometimes and think we always have to go longer or faster or more hills or something. A 42 mile week is great! I've had to remind myself lately that running 9 miles is a very long distance to run and it really doesn't matter that I didn't feel like running 12.

    Glad to see another South Carolinian blogging about running. I live in Richmond, VA but grew up in NW SC -- Travelers Rest. Parents still live in G'ville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perspective: I'm peaking at about 45 mpw in the midst of marathon training? Who feels like a doof? (ME!) Regarding the shin pain: often, I have what I think are shin splints, but numerous trips to the sports medicine docs has confirmed that I have issues with the muscles under my tibia. I am a horrible stretcher, and I can't seem to get at those. Hamstring stretches seem to pull at them the best, so maybe it will help? I dunno - just throwing my two cents in. Anyway, we're quite alike in our running (save for my current low mileage). Our PRs are pretty close, and if I can finish my first marathon around your time, I shall be quite pleased! I also have an obsession with M&Ms, and the Easter ones are just so damn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your 42 miles ahead of most people living in this country so don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear you are feeling better. And you are so positive...I am sure your mileage will be soaring again in no time. 42 miles is not just good...it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello...42 miles is GREAT!
    Good Job Girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 42 miles?? That's quite an accomplishment -- you should feel proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 42 is great, even when training for something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to hear you have not always been Superwoman, and that 20 miles/week was once a lot for you. I'm not sure that 42 miles would ever seem like an easy week, but maybe someday:) You've come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny, 40 miles has always been my "hardcore runner" line too. 42 miles, and you're not even training for something? That's great!

    ReplyDelete