Wednesday, March 4, 2009

start spreading the news

these vagabond shoes are longing to stray right thru the very heart of it - new york, new york.

i (sort of) have an official goal race to train for now! i got my official acceptance email to the ing nyc marathon over the weekend (i know, how could i withhold this information for so many days!) so i can officially put that on the schedule, although i basically already had it on there. that race is not until november though so it's not something i can really get motivated to train for yet. i am still considering a spring/summer marathon to "just do" but nothing has struck my fancy (and schedule) yet. i'm excited to be in, but i could've done without the $180 or so charge to my amex... running is a cheap sport, right?

monday - i was gonna run since i slacked off three days last week, (and illegitimately took the day off from work) but i didn't. it sure didn't help that coach jay's tip of the week was "blow off your training plan"! luckily it was my scheduled day off for the week anyway. another excuse of mine was that i didn't want to run in the icy conditions - of the intense snow "storm" we had, this is all that remained in my yard monday afternoon:


tuesday - solid 3.5 hours of sleep. i rose way before the sun to get my run in on the tm before work. i knew i would not be able to convince myself to run in the 30* or so at lunch or after work, and i'd probably make more excuses for the treadmill as the day went on, so i went ahead and got it over with. once again i had to play mind games with myself to get to 2 miles, 3 miles, etc. what is it about the tm that is so torturous?

tuesday (3/3) am run: 6.2 miles, 56:14 (9:04 avg pace), avg hr (165)

after work i did a "300" workout. i made up 3 different 'workouts', each with 10 different exercises (30 reps each) that i can hopefully do 3x/week. the exercises are basically various pushups, squats, lunges, etc, that require no equipment (except a ball) and can be done at home. i didn't renew my gym membership and i don't want to re-join, but i do want to try to get back to doing weight-like exercises regularly.

wednesday - i tried waking up early again to run before work but i was exhausted. i didn't actually feel awake until mid-afternoon. i wasn't sore when i woke up but as the day passed i could feel the doms setting in. i actually enjoy being sore for some reason. i was able to get out for a lunch time run, and i originally wanted to go a little longer (9-12 miles) than the planned 8, but ultimately i settled for the plan because i figured i probably shouldn't take a two-hour lunch break. i'm hoping the mid-day run helped flush the lactic-acid out quicker and the soreness doesn't increase tomorrow.

wednesday (3/4) lunch run: 8 miles, 1:10:05 (8:45 avg pace), avg hr (162)

after work i went out to dinner with my pal jess. we decided to reminisce on our own lovely table-waiting memories and ate at a brand new cracker barrel. glamorous. our server girl was cool and the rest of the staff was actually friendly. jess and i were wondering if we were just grumpy when we did it? i'm thinking since they are all new they might still enjoy the newness of the job and the people they work with... let's be real, waiting tables can be a pain! especially at a cracker barrel (in the south no less) where you often get some redneck clientele who want some "chow chow" with their meal. it took me awhile to figure out what they were asking for. (relish, in case you didn't know either.)

since i served my sentence, it bugs me when people seriously only leave 10 or 15% of the bill as their tip at places like cb where your meal is a lot cheaper to begin with. i mean your meal is half the cost of what it would've been elsewhere, would it hurt to throw down an extra buck? (provided the service was good of course). anyway i hooked our girl up, but i had to do it at the register since i never have cash. i hope she saw the tip on the computer and didn't think we stiffed her!

26 comments:

  1. NYC here you come! I'm so excited to start reading race reports again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on NY! That'll be an amazing race. great job on the workouts! I need to start doing weights, etc again too. the pic with the snow is too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay congrats on NYC!! I agree though, I definitely couldn't be motivated to train for an event that far in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Fun!!
    Congrats on your NYC Marathon Entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on NY, I would LOVE to run that one someday. Can't wait to follow your training and see how awesome you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've never had a job as a waitress/server. Sometimes I wonder if I missed out on something. :p

    Congratulations on NY! So exciting!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @marlene - you are not missing anything, i promise. :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the NYC marathon! I know many people (non-bloggers) who have run in it and really enjoyed all it has to offer!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for NYC and CONGRATS! How did you find out already?

    Awesome job on the runs! I am with you 100% on those TM runs... they are SO HARD mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got into NYC! That's awesome!!

    Congratulations!!!

    Does that mean I won't see you at Atlantic City?

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on getting onto nyc!!
    i lived on the east coast most of my life, so cracker barrel is definitely in my vocab. i bet the tippers there were HORRIBLE. they were saving their $$ for the gigantic sugar daddy from the gift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never hear of Chow Chow before. That is too funny. Yay for NY! I've always kind of wanted to do that race. I can't ever train through the summer again so I guess I will live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry the book didn't work out, I tried! :-( Maybe next time??

    And your comment about waiting tables rings soo true. I paid my dues working at a place called Texana (which eventually went out of business). I think everyone should have to wait tables at least once in their life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh....so jealous.

    Congrats Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh NYC! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the NYC acceptance! That is one my dream races.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @aron - well i pretty much figured i'd be in 'cause my disney half time fell within their qualification guidelines, but i didn't want to make it official in case they still rejected me.

    @joyrun - ooh don't count me out yet. that's 3 weeks out, i could use it as my last "20" miler! (i think i'm thinking of the right race anyway, oct18th-ish?)

    @cindy - lol about saving for the shop! personally i would've gone for the 12 pound hershey bar myself! some tippers were decent but this one lady did leave my friend a whopping 0.25 once. haha.

    @katie - it's ok! we did try hard, but i'm glad you didn't rig it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on NYC. It's definitely on my list someday.I think I'd rather run NYC than Boston actually. In any case, I'll be hounding you for info about their expo, so be sure to take good notes (don't worry, I'll remind you when it gets closer).

    You should run some shorter races in the meantime. It gives you something to train for without having to worry about the huge recovery afterward and as an added bonus, it's cheaper. Besides, I own you in the 10K and the 5K now, so you need to reclaim those.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for NYC!

    You've also confirmed my statement that every blog post can be supported by cheesy lyrics! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sooo jealous about you running in the NYC Marathon. I applied last week, and am hoping to be accepted. If not, I have automatic entry in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news about NYC! it's a really exciting race, you'll have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love me some Sinatra! Just make sure you do it Your Way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always wonder, too, if the waiter/waitress thinks we are stiffing them if we don't leave cash on the table. And I usually tip 20%, too or more, since my sister was a waittress at Ponderosa. Ponderosa, where people never really knew, were they supposed to tip, or not?! and I've been to a cracker barrel, I thought they were only down south until recently, so you painted a pretty good picture for me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, hey, just saw you're going to be running the big race in MY city. That's awesome. I know it's in nov but go ahead, you can get excited anyway! Congrats. I'll be peeking in from time to time to follow your training!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ lam - thanks for stopping by! i am excited to be running nyc, i didn't even know you could 'qualify' until a few weeks ago! it's hard to be motivated now so far in advance, but i'm hoping it'll kick in when i have to really start training. i hear you are one of the experts, might be turning to you for advice! :)

    ReplyDelete