Wednesday, July 15, 2009

nyc half marathon: fresh air fund-racers

itching to run or race a half in a few weeks?

the nyc half marathon will be held on august 16th of this year, and the fresh air fund-racers are looking for runners to join their team! (sponsors also quite welcome too).
the fresh air fund provides free summer experiences in the country to more than 1.7 million new york city children from disadvantaged communities. each year, thousands of children visit volunteer host families in 13 states and canada through the friendly town program or attend one of five fresh air fund camps. host families open their hearts and home to a nyc child who would not otherwise have the opportunity to escape the hot, crowded city streets. [from faf website]
the 2008 new york city half marathon presented by nike was a huge success. over $125,000 were raised for the fresh air fund, which was put directly towards their free programs for nyc kids. hopefully 2009 will be an even bigger success!

while i will not be able to attend this race myself, i hope those of you closer to nyc will strongly consider it! there are many worthwhile causes to support in the many road races we all run, and the fresh air fund is one of them.

one of my favorite things about the fresh air fund is the "friendly town" program. in this program, fresh air children (6-18 year olds who live in the city) stay for two weeks or more in over 300 friendly towns across 13 northeastern states from virginia to maine and canada. the program provides the children with the opportunity to run barefoot through the grass and experience a suburban/rural lifestyle in contrast to the concrete jungle of the city. check out the website and faq's if you are interested in being a host!

if you are unable to participate in the half-marathon or hosting a child, but still want to support the cause - volunteers and tax deductible donations are also accepted.



running this week has been uneventful thus far. hoping to get in a quality workout tomorrow after a consult with the oral surgeon (getting out of work early, yay!; going to dentist... eh).

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great cause! I'm no where near NYC either, but hopefully they raise a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite up to running a half now. Maybe I should train for the local one in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does going to the dentist deserve a yay? Hmmm...am I missing something here? Heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome cause, Lindsay. Am off to read more about it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it probably wouldn't be the smartest thing in the world for me to race a half in august, which is too bad since nyc is really close to me and that sounds like a really cool cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the dentist! Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all went well at the dentist. I am sure the race will race a ton of money. I love running for great causes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oy. hate the dentist. well not the dentist himself but going to the dentist. hope it went well.

    cool race and great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry i didn't volunteer for you at the dentist. hope you're feeling ok. What a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could do it!

    Good luck at the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did would be a good reason for a road trip! If I were to run it, I definitely would want to support a cause like this. Great heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting out of work early to go to the dentist really takes the fun out of the early departure!

    I wish I could fly to NY for this race, it would be fun. Plus, Deena Kastor's doing it! I'm sure I could run right next to her. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I weren't just getting back to TN and starting fall classes, I would consider running it! It's definitely a worthy cause! I hope it's successful this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am doing the NYC Half in August. Hope the race raises a lot of money for the cause.

    ReplyDelete