Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 report card

i didn't do an awesome job with my '09 goals, but if i recall correctly i threw a few of them in there halfheartedly (some of the 'other fitness' stuff). without further ado, and because i need to hustle on my 2010 goals, let's recap those goals of 2009:

running: B+
  1. run 3 marathons. fail. i only ran two (florida, new york). when i made this goal i was thinking of running nd, ct, ri, or nj, of which i did none. i'm giving myself partial credit for going 2-for-3.
  2. sub-1:30 half. fail. this was probably a bit lofty of a goal. my previous pr was 1:40 and change (7:37 pace); a 1:30 half is a 6:51 pace... oh sure, no biggie. i was looking for a 1:35-1:38 at disney and surpassed that with a 1:34, so more partial credit on this one.
  3. sub-3:35 full. oooh pass! this was a fairly reasonable goal i think. 3:33 in nyc (i forgot i even made this goal).
  4. pr in at least 3 distances. pass again. technically i pr'd in 5 distances - 5k, 10k, half, full and 4-mile trail (by default).
health/fitness related: F- (i'd grade myself lower if such grades existed)
  1. abs 2-3 times per week. major fail. "no exceptions" i wrote... hah. apparently i found plenty.
  2. lose at least another 5 lbs. fail. pretty sure i gained actually... .
  3. truly avoid eating foods with soy. fail. i tried, but i could've tried harder. (some days i got fed up and ate something i knew i shouldn't). it's also always questionable when eating out unless you order a salad with no dressing and that gets a tad boring. i really need to start taking my allergies seriously because they've blown out of control over the past few months.
  4. yoga once per week. fail. i don't even think i did yoga once per month.
non-running: A
  1. pay off my car loan. pass! paid off 2.5 years early making me debt free except the mortgage. woot.
  2. re-side my house and landscape the front yard. partial credit? got the house resided in december but haven't touched the landscaping (worked out, as the siding guys trampled what little foliage i do have). last year i was concerned about looking like the redneck neighbor, but i don't have to worry about that anymore. my new neighbors (renters) are a nightmare.
  3. spend more quality time with family and friends. spurred from the events of Christmas '08. i'd say mostly pass. since getting a second home in kentucky, i think i see my parents more often then when i lived 30 minutes away from them. it's been tough to see friends but i squeeze in a few visits here and there and try to be more cognizant about actually calling (i'm not a huge phone-talker though).
obviously i need to be a lot more realistic about non-running activities. overall, i certainly don't consider the year to be a fail by any means. my life was not ruined because i didn't get my yoga on every week. i knocked off the 'bigger', more important goals and i'm proud of myself.

24 comments:

  1. I remember when we made our goals last year (I seemed to blog a lot more regularly during my holiday vacation last year). Some of mine were quite lofty as well and I didn't come anywhere near them. Still, good job on yours. You've had it pretty rough with the long work hours and crazy living situation. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you HAVE accomplished this year has been amazing, especially with living in a hotel for most of it! Be proud Lindsay, I know I am of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, every year I make the yoga goal...failed it going on three years now. But the car, that's awesome. Wish I could be debt free! Good luck with your 2010 goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a report card and I hope I remember to do it at the end of this year!

    I try to eat Soy free, but like you said it is hard. Sometimes you cannot avoid it. I think the trick is, to avoid it when you can and if you can't, then be okay with that, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a report card done quite like this.

    It makes me think maybe I should make some goals and then try to accomplish them.

    Good job on all those prs. If you ask me, all those pr's should override the top two fails you gave yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job on your goals. Just setting some is more than a lot of people are able to do. Also, if you accomplished all of them then you probably didn't set the bar high enough. Way to push yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did great!! a B+ is never something to be ashamed of. and those ones you didnt get just get moved on to 2010 :)

    so just curious - what is soy hiding in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I think you did fantastic in '09. Um, 3:33 marathon??? Holy crap...there are people that would kill for that time...and you were even hurting during the route. You are so awesome, I can't even explain, chica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we say down here in the Ozarks..."Ya done good!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh so you didn't fit the abs in or yoga in...oh well that'll happen. But paying off your car loan 2.5 years early rocks! And getting the house resided. And all your awesome running stuff you did this year. I'd say your year was pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "4. yoga once per week. fail. i don't even think i did yoga once per month."

    hahaha - that is great. I tell myself this at least once or twice a week "should do some yoga" but never do.

    I feel ya on your non-related running activities, but there is only so much time when we are always "training" for a race. :)

    You did real well with your running, I'd give you a solid A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was glad to read your last couple of lines, because with what I read, you certainly don't have anything in the year to hang your head down about! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Job on those Pr's and for getting out there last year. Loved your report card concept. I don't think I will do one one myself until I know I can at least pass everything. lol. Paid off your car huh? That made me think of Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover thingy. Great Job on that one. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so hard to pick a half marathon goal. 1:30 is so much faster than it sounds.

    So feel you on the soy free thing. Unless you have the label right there...ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL.

    You have my undying worship for being debt free (save a mortgage which doesn't count). In this economy (hell, in any economy) that is one hell of an accomplishment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you had a great year! Your life is crazy living in KY and being away from home, yet you met so many of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. interesting idea to write a yearly report card!!!!!! i think you need to place more emphasis on everything you passed, b/c you had a lot of goals :) even just one accomplishment is big (ahem, marathon, cough, car paid off!). hahah...

    cheers to 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be an exciting year. you have very high expectations and running goals, and i think you are super motivated and a get-it-done type of person so i def wish you the best of luck and look forward to cheering you on :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great accomplishments!! 5 distance PRs is awesome!

    Your avoiding of soy is interesting. I have semi-deduced that it has what has caused my occasional stomach problems on my runs, so I am trying to avoid it as well.

    I look forward to following you throughout 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you graded yourself--remind me of that next year!
    I still think you did a kick butt job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet you were an honor roll student in high school. ;) You did great this year! Spending more time with your loved ones is more important than abs. And you got engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The simple fact that you wrote these 4 words at the end of your post means it was a success: "i'm proud of myself." Kudos... you've done a lot and part of resolutions is to learn about yourself. You've learned that you're just fine if you don't do some of those things you thought were important! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you've done a great job on the goals

    p.s we've been in our house for 18 yrs and are just finally getting around to landscaping the back....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on all your big goals...For what you did do, you did great so definitely be proud of that! Onto 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go on the goals! Not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting idea about the report card grades. I never thought of doing that before but it makes perfect sense (why just give yourself a pass/fail on goals?).

    Congrats on all your successes in 2009!

    ReplyDelete