Sunday, November 21, 2010

sunday (not-so) funnies

back in like march, my brakes started making a grinding noise. they didn't do it all the time so i didn't think much of it, even while making my bi-weekly 600mile trips between ky and sc. at first i thought it was mud from the jobsite, but it didn't go away after getting the underbody sprayed at the car wash. i also figured it wasn't that bad because they never squeaked like i (wrongly) assumed brakes would. eventually they made these awful noises every time, although it still took another 3.5 months before i did anything (read: convinced josh they needed attention).

so now it's november, and we finally decided it might be wise to put new brakes on.

new brake / old brake
notice a difference?
old rotor / new rotor
see the chunk missing out of the old one?

i think i was about one brake-tap away from either sparking a fire or rear-ending everyone on the road. do not repeat this behavior; it's not smart.

495 inappropriate words later, josh had my car good-to-go again. [nothing like having a blog to document these exciting weekend activities!]

18 comments:

  1. omg wow. glad to hear that you've got things under control now. i shudder to think what my car looks like with the nitty gritty stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. you might want to donate those old parts to the auto parts store so they can do a window display...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... Your brake pad is missing the pad... :)

    Way to go on doing the repair yourself - it saves a boat load of money. I got stranded once where my only option was to pay for a brake job. $350 later, I was on my way. I think I cursed more after having to pay that much than I did doing the job myself.

    I'm actually headed out to do oil changes on both cars this afternoon. Hopefully I don't end up with any bloody knuckles this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your young little bike riding neighbor was in his own yard not listening to those inappropriate words that are a part of repairing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeee gads! How were you getting the car to stop??? Good thing you got that taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you came out of this with nothing more than a few adult words and no injuries.

    You may have convinced me to take the Green Machine in....MAY HAVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amaizing!! did you repair yourself?
    hugs
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, holy crap. I'm glad you acted when you did and got 'em taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Note to Lindsay: brakes are kind of important!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cannot tell you how impressed I am that you guys did that yourself! Wouldn't even know where to start. Glad you are safe now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait a minute, do you exchange brake diagnostic tips with my wife? And it doesn't matter how much I remind her that it is very PHYSICALLY difficut for me to change the brakes on her Durango. That thing is like a freakin tank.

    Overall though, it's good you've shared your experience with the blogosphere. Nov 21st next year, I'll be sure to remind you to change your brakes again. And I wish I was kidding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that you're alive despite those scary-as$ breaks! You've got a good man looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know I'm not the only one who uses "inappropriate words" while tackling car repairs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy...that is kind of scary.
    Glad you got it taken care of!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha- you and I might have been separated at birth! Shall I call you Lindsaypie??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, so glad you changed those things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes! Were you letting out a shower of sparks every time you stopped? Metal on metal is pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did Josh change the brakes himself?? Will he come back with you to Boston in April?? I'd love to have my own personal mechanic!!!

    ReplyDelete