Sunday, May 17, 2009

product review: gu chomps

a big fan of gu roctane and it's speedy benefits, i was excited to try their new product: gu chomps. i finally ran long enough this weekend to need on-the-go nutrition, so i left the roctane at home and grabbed a pack of gu chomps, blueberry pomegranate flavor.

i had a very hard time putting those chomps back in the packet
and not eating them for breakfast

as with gu's other products, gu chomps contain amino acids, vitamin c+e, sodium, potassium, and gu's exclusive blend of complex and simple carbohydrates. (more on their ingredients and benefits here.) compared to other chewy-fuels, chomps have the least calories, least sugars, highest ratio complex-to-simple carbs, highest antioxidants, highest potassium, and is the only brand with amino acids.

gu chomps come in four flavors: blueberry pomegranate, strawberry, orange and cranberry apple. the strawberry and cranberry apple flavors are caffeinated, while blue pom and orange provide a caffeine-free alternative. as with all gu products, the chomps are also gluten-free.

one package of gu chomps contains two servings which will last 1.5 to 2 hours of activity (with water too of course). there are eight chomps in the package, and it is recommended to take 4 chomps every 45 minutes of activity. i used them as bait for my long treadmill run yesterday, so i didn't quite take them as prescribed (1 chomp every couple of miles). i believe they still helped maintain my energy levels and kept my legs from feeling tired until near the end of the run. i have not been running long much at all lately, so my legs and i are not quite in long-run shape. the chomps helped keep me going as i ran for twice as long as normal. additionally, i wasn't the least bit sore after my 12-miler, nor was i sore or stiff on sunday when i headed out to run. looks like these chomps do their fair share of enabling a speedy recovery.

it doesn't hurt that gu chomps are delicious; i could eat these things all day long. they're like gushers, but without the juicy, exploding center. so i guess they're really more like gummy bears. i was kind of tempted to just stop and eat them instead of run. the one thing i don't like is the chewiness. they're not hard to chew (easier than sport beans), but i am a bit leary of chewing while running. they were tasty and helped me survive a 12-miler on the treadmill so i'll definitely use them again, but i think i may stick to gu roctane for races.

many thanks to gu and outside pr for stocking me up with running fuel!

purchase your own a sampler pack of gu:
GU Performance Energy Sample Pack






23 comments:

  1. sounds great; I'll have to try them; thanks for the review and I'm still amazed by your 12 miler t-miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review, don't think they are sold here yet through. Will have to keep my eye out for them when I can rebuild my mileage :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these a couple weeks ago and really liked them. I think I actually prefer them to Clif Shot Bloks. They are like candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey these things look pretty good! Where did you buy them or did you order them online?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice compliment on Danica's blog. That was sweet of you. This is a great review that you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about these since your last post. I am excited to try them out. I wish they made some in chocolate, though. Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just barely heard about these for the first time yesterday... Glad to see your review! I don't really care for gels, one whole one is too much at a time for me and if I don't take it all I end up with sticky all over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard or seen these. Thanks for the review. I am going to have to check these out.

    Glad you were able to get in a nice long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, yum. I kinda really like gushers so I bet I would like these -- if I ever again ran long enough to need them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just picked up some of these myself. Can't wait to try them after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your product reviews. I'm about to take your advice on hats, in fact!

    They sound delicious. I wonder if we get them here... I'm yet to discover the world of gels etc. Not running far enough yet... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review. It sounds delicious...as fuel and as a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great review. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for them when I train for my race this summer. I am not a fan of regular gu. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I picked up a couple of packs at my local tri store last weekend and gave them a whirl on my uber long bike ride on Saturday. I really like the flavor a lot, and they kicked in quickly when I could tell I was a little low on fuel. I'm not a huge fan of chewing things on the run, but I loved it on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review. I'm still an old school GU users (yeah, the sticky gel stuff). Guess I'll need to stop by my local sports nutrition store (called, are you ready?, The Sports Nutrition Store) and check out Gu Roctane....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this review. I picked up some packs at a recent race Expo, but have yet to run far enough to use them. I've never eaten anything during a run...but they sound delicious so I kinda just want to run far JUST so I can eat them! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe you survived 12 miles on the 'mill! That is incredible, bate or no bate! Anyway, I've been hearing all the hype about gu roctane and still haven't tried it--I think I'm going to have to give in and give it a shot in either gu or chomp form. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK "food critic," nice review! Now I want to try them. Where do I buy them????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are pretty cool. I will give those a try! I love gummy bears! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm they sound yummy. I wouldn't mind giving them a try

    ReplyDelete
  21. did you say 12 mi on the tm? dang, girl!!
    i need to try those chomps-i like shot blocks but don't like the way they're packaged now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm all about Clif Shots! It's hard for me to chew things, so I try and stick with the gels. I'll gives these a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I take a couple of chomps before my 5:30 AM workout, I love the instant energy...They will be a part of my conditioning program for good....They work!

    ReplyDelete