Thursday, May 21, 2009

workin' for the weekend

i get memorial day off! whoaaa, i'll actually have a weekend. i have absolutely nothing planned and i couldn't be more excited to just chill out. (and run some too of course.) they are also shifting the work hours post-memorial day so that we start the day at 6:30 instead of 7. i'm not quite sure if i will be sliding my morning-run routine with that as well, as i would then have to be waking up while the clock says 3:xx. believe it or not, that's just not giving me any warm fuzzy feelings right now.

watching the sunrise at work

on monday i ran outside at a local park that has just over a 2-mile, very hilly loop. it also has about 8 feet of shade along the entire loop. (not kidding.) it was nice though - i ran past open fields, cows, horses, barns, a skateboard park, pool with big water slides, baseball fields, soccer fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball courts and a neighborhood. i think that covers it all. i know i need to reacquaint myself to hills after my 5-6 week treadmill/flat river-valley running. surprisingly, i handled all the ups and downs pretty well - my hr and pace were in the right zone for an easy run.

monday (5/18) pm run: 6.21 miles, 53:52 (avg pace 8:40), avg hr (159)

i finally figured out a route through "downtown" that i thought would be decent and jumpstart me to exploring the area, but it turned out i picked the predominantly ghetto side of town. i ran it anyway, and found a trail that went out around a pond. i quickly discovered it was quite overgrown, and since it was near a 'hood area i decided not to explore it. instead, i crossed a wooden bridge over the "pond" (/dried up, super stinky marsh-like) and prayed the bridge would not collapse under me. the pond smelled terrible. the run had some hills as well, but much less intense than the park.

tuesday (5/19) pm run: 5 miles, 42:41 (avg pace 8:32), avg hr (158)

wednesday and today (thursday) i ran in the morning on the treadmill because i knew i would not have time for an afternoon/evening run outside. my legs were tired and heavy for wednesday's run but i'm assuming it was just from running tuesday evening.

wednesday (5/20) am run: 4 miles, 35:12 (avg pace 8:48)
thursday (5/21) am run: 3 miles, 25:37 (avg pace 8:32)

while i hate having my run loom over me all day, it's been nice to get outside for a few runs this week after work. if only my legs could adjust quicker to running in the evening one day and in the early morning the next...

happy and safe memorial day weekend to all!

27 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a great weekend and uck to 3 something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what is your secret to waking up for a run in the morning? What time do you end up going to bed at night? I'm a morning person too but the am run can be brutal. I always like the feeling afterwards though

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you're officially my hero... running before you start work at 7! :) have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great weekend not working! Enjoy every minute of not doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You need a nice weekend!
    Sorry about the earlier start, though. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I run in the afternoon and love it. I actually look forward to it all day - it destresses and energiazes me. The only problem is that if I go more than 7 miles I get too wired to go to sleep, which can be good or bad. Enjoy Mem Day off! Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. You enjoy every second of this holiday weekend. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, hope you enjoy the weekend and get some nice runs in! :) I'm still trying to figure out how you passed all of that stuff in one 2-mile loop! Great job getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I stumbled across your blog from Will Run For Fun and I'm enjoying reading it! Where do you work that you have to be up that early? I totally understand...I work at a dog daycare/kennel where I have to be there at 6 or 6:30 depending on which part of the place I work at...soooo early! But running before then?? That's just impressive! Anyway, I just wanted to comment and say hi! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SBJ! 3:xx is INSANE!! Now if your work is shifting to start at 6:30a, does that mean you'll be done sooner & can get your run in after work?

    I can't ever complain about getting up early anymore. EVER.

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for time off! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the weekend! You have definitley have been exploring on your runs. Hope you find a ghettoless route.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice job on the runs...do you run every day? my body needs rest days....have a good long weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice mileage this week!

    I have a heck of a time running in the morning after a PM run.

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 3-ish is when i'm getting my best sleep of the night! enjoy your memorial day weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bet those were the best 8 feet of shade ever! Nice that you handled the hills.

    What do you think is a reasonable increase in HR when doing hills? I'm actually doing a run/race tomorrow that is supposed to be hilly. I'm going to take it more as a workout than run bc I haven't trained for hills yet and it's my first race in 6 years? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a great weekend Lindsay! I think I'm doing the same as you....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful picture. I've thought about getting up and the morning and running but I was never able to work up the motivation. I think that picture might inspire me to try again.

    Come visit our blog! And comment please, we love comments :)
    http://ivyandhaley.blogspot.com

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great wkend, enjoy some time to unwind and run easy.

    I will think of you & your '8 feet of shade' when running Sunday and trying to stay cool (hope I find more than 8').

    ReplyDelete
  21. YAY so glad you get a long weekend! you've been working hard you def deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. 6:30 am!? How dare they!

    Hope you have a wonderfully restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You will start work at 6:30??? I think 7 is insane!

    Great job on the runs. I am especially impressed with the hills!

    Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful sunrise :)

    I like running after work (well, when I worked in a real office, lol). I don't know how you do it, waking up so early! I WISH I could be that way...what's your secret?!

    I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Speaking as someone who is now getting up at 4 to run, yeah 3 is a bit too early. You guys will start working at 6, wow?

    Your sunrise looks beautiful, your ghetto run, not so much. Oh My God, Lindsay, I hope for your sake you can go back home to work again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay, awesome that you can finally get outside for some runs!!!! Even if you did have to run through some sketchy neighborhoods.... I hope you had a great long weekend of relaxing!

    ReplyDelete