Friday, May 7, 2010

domestication take 2

for the record, one definition of "domesticated" per urban dictionary says "gettin civilized. stop sellin drugs, goin back to school, and gettin everything str8 wit yo baby's momma!!!!!!!!!"

something like that... in my sweet, innocent, drug-less world i recently found myself tinkering in the kitchen again. i feel compelled to learn some sort of domestication before tying the knot. i make a pretty good homemade pizza, and while i know josh wouldn't mind eating pizza every night, i think i need to master some other dishes.

i forget where i first read about it, but i've been meaning to try my hand at spaghetti squash for a little while. thankfully the food store clearly labels the spaghetti squash, otherwise i definitely would not have known what to buy. i'm still not very skilled in this department of home ec (or any department for that matter).

i googled "how to cook spaghetti squash" and easily settled on the nuke for 10-12 minutes option. although recipes often say "only x minutes of prep time", i can guarantee that i will need to at least double it. the other options were to boil for like 30-45 minutes (my "furnished" apartment doesn't have a big enough pot) or to bake for an hour.

after microwaving, i removed the seeds and pulp. it wasn't easy with it all tangled together. (please pardon the crappy i-phone pictures).

left side still needs to be de-pulped.

then i took a fork and scraped out the noodles. in some areas it came off easier than others... i am assuming that is from not cooking long enough? after a while i got tired of scraping and had a tupperware full of noodles, so i quit. i think if i had pasta-tongs (and cooked it longer) it would not have been such a battle.

that's probably too much left in there huh? oh well.

in the end, the spaghetti squash turned out alright. some parts were little crunchy, but from what i read that's common. effort wise, i would just stick to pasta noodles in a box!! health wise, spaghetti squash is the way to go at only 40 calories per cup. oh, and all those other nutrients and stuff too. money wise, i think this squash cost me $5-6 and i can probably get 3 servings out of what i scooped out. perhaps had i scraped and/or cooked it longer i could've gotten 4-5 servings.

it felt like it took forever, but i'd still like to make it again with the bake or boil option instead with hopes that it won't be as hard to scoop. this time i just topped it with spaghetti sauce out of laziness, but i'd like to try it with spinach, tomatoes and maybe some feta cheese. we'll have to see; i'm no rachel ray.

i also separated all the pulp gunk from the seeds and roasted them. bonus: seeds are a decent source of protein! (i have been slacking way too much on protein)

33 comments:

  1. So, you cook the squash in the oven first and then take out that gunk and use it as spaghetti?

    I'll have to google this too. The kids might get a kick out of it.

    You're so funny. Why not just let Josh cook? My husband cooked, cleaned and did laundry the first year we were married. I was pregnant and had the more demanging job and he's a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting--but you don't sound like you loved it! Your beginning definition is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed! Just don't make this a habit coz Josh might be reading it and start expecting a nice cooked meal every night! I've been getting away with not making coffee for the past 10 years bc "I don't know how to". Less cooking = more time for training. Unless you enjoy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been intrigued by spaghetti squash, but totally have no clue what to do with it. Maybe I'll give this a try sometime though. It doesn't sound all that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spaghetti squash-add my homemade elk spaghetti sauce and it's all good!
    You need to take a trip up here to WI and let me teach you how to cook! Cooking is the best. Plus i can get some much needed protein in ya! I get between 150-200 a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo, domestic goddess! I went through a spaghetti squash phase but overall found it to be more work than it's worth. (That's laziness speaking!) I still like it occasionally, though I have yet to cook it for *just* the right amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, interesting. I bet those seeds were yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I'm pretty patient, but not sure it would last THAT long ;) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually cook spaghetti squash a few times a month! I made it in the oven...take it out and smother it with butter and salt & pepper:) Good stuff!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! You should write a food blog. I can sense you were dying to get it over with. I agree with some of the others...you should let Josh cook. Great job on the sphagetti squash, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess I have to work on getting evrything str8 with my baby diddy (thats if I can find him) before I move on to cooking squash! sighhhhh :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are ONE brave, brave girl. I tried S squash once and it was soooo messy. Those little sticky, squiggly things were stuck to everything and yuck, it DID NOT taste like pasta. What were we thinking???!!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh snap you busted out the Urban Dictionary. Nicely played.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girlie, I was wondering if you bought spaghetti squash in the noodle section, so you were one step up on me in that arena. I, too, once tried to cook something for my family other than boxed mac and cheese but found they won't eat it so boxed it is!! (jk, on the boxed stuff, though they do like it, I don't usually buy it. Ha). You totally made me laugh, though, cuz you and I are just connected at the hip on just about every level, it seems. kindred souls!! I gotta love us :). Nice job on the cooking. Next up, laundry??? Happy weekend. I'm going to mail you that something here soon, promise (getting around to errands isn't one of my fortes either).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just hope that after all this squash business you have everything str8 with your baby momma!

    Ps- my word verification, no lie, is...strapon. Classy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Top marks Lindsay for giving this a go. We can all learn from this an you inspire me to learn something new in the kitchen . Touch on that creative side of the mind

    Cheers

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought you might try a hearty soup or something...or maybe a pasta dish but spaghetti squash-nice way to jump right in!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to do spaghetti squash for my wife. Usually turned out pretty well.

    Also (I know I'm late), Indianapolis sounds good for November. Might have to do that one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know if I will ever try this, but thanks for sharing Lindsay. I might......though after all. I wouldn't want the work involved in doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmmm. I love me some squash! Beter if you have the time and cookit in the oven instead of the microwave. I then smother in butter and brown sugar. So much for the diet.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spag. Squash is THE BEST! I love it (and pasta to of course!) I cook it in the oven, I just use one of those long pans you'd bake lasagna in, and then I pour like 1/2 an inch of water and cook it for about 45 minutes... (I pull out the pulp b4 the oven) and then I eat it all up like there's no tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. With the squash it is all about the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Easy there, killer. Keep this nonsense up and soon he'll be expecting a four course meal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never even heard of spaghetti squash! So I looked it up, and I want to try to make some too. It sounds interesting. I have cooked other squashes. The cooking method that seems to work the best for me is baking the squash cut in half in a shallow dish (maybe an inch) of water. That usually makes it good and tender.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i tried spaghetti squash last year and it didn't turn out very good...i may have to try again, and try the seeds too....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice! At least you try? I've been married 4 years with a 2 year old and my cooking is non-existant!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That actually sounds really good, and you are not alone in not knowing what the hell that would have looked like in the store. Even though I do the grocery shopping around here most of the time (Bill makes a huge deal out of it - note my eye roll and wave of the hand (get the hell out) on this end) I would still have no friggin clue as to what it looks like.


    Oh, and I'm with sunshine mama on this - if Josh likes to cook, oh sooo let him....

    ReplyDelete
  28. OK, two things. First, I can't deal with you not writing about running. Second, Glad I'm not the only "slacker" when it comes to posting. Of course I'm joking for both of these, but I did want to check in and say "Hi." Miss you, Lindsay. :-) P.S. I'm still waiting for my wedding invitation (JK). By the way, if you were getting married in CT, MA, or VT I could JP your ceremony (for free). Yes, today is "Wiseass Wednesday," but I really do JP for free, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like my Spag squash with a little parm and butter. (A LITTLE)
    Did you correct Sunshine Mama on how to really make it?
    Have you tried acron squash baked with cinn and raisins in the middle? yum... but better in fall.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm impressed with your spaghetti squash making capabilities. I'm a pizza girl too. I don't know if you've tried mark bittman's pizza crust, but it's killer!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting experience!

    I've heard about using that squash in place of spaghetti but had no idea how they did it. Might have to give that a try someday myself when I have extra money to spend and more time on my hands to know what to do with :-P

    ReplyDelete
  32. It cooks better if you:

    a) cut it lengthwise
    b) remove seeds etc
    c) put inside face down in pyrex dish w/ table spoon of water
    d) cover it with gladwrap
    e) nuke for 10-12 mins for a large one

    ReplyDelete