Saturday, May 29, 2010

my old kentucky home


(enhance the atmosphere with some background music)

dearest kentucky,

it has certainly been an interesting 494 days living in your various metropolis cities such as carrollton and danville (and frankfort). i spent a lot of time on holiday inn express and hampton inn treadmills (116 runs for 772.12 miles to be exact) when your weather was bad or there weren't many roads to run on. when i did discover routes outdoors, you certainly were gorgeous. i will miss the bluegrass pike the most; it will always be my favorite running road.

you seemed to have had it out for my car for some reason, what with the deer, locking my keys in the car, new tires, off-roading, door falling off business. i noticed you were also trying to help me fit in better with the locals, putting me in the dentist chair to have my wisdom teeth pulled, a root canal, and to fix a chipped tooth.

although most days i whined about you, you're a pretty good state overall. the countryside is beautiful and the people are friendly. i found a few awesome places to run and some cool people to run with on occasion. i even squeezed in three marathons while i was here. i toured a bourbon distillery, flew over louisville in a bi-plane and attended the famous kentucky derby.

i missed being away from home and i hated all the driving up and down i-75 (approximately 10,820 miles), but it did give me the excuse to eat (too many) m&m's so that i'd stay awake on the drive. i never did get to go horse back riding this spring because you were busy raining every weekend i stayed in town. i'm also a little disappointed that i never actually saw blue grass. what the heck is that all about?

thanks for the memories kentucky. it was fun, most days.

much love.


[side note:  if you are ever in need of chiropractic care in the central kentucky area, i highly recommend dr. pat drury (lawrenceburg) and dr. alex louden (lexington) - they took good care of me over the past year!]

26 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff tears... Love it! I didn't realize you had been there that long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to a few KY cities, and you're right, not that bad. Good food. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks as I read your post whilst listening to the song. lol. Cool......Thanks for the M&M addiction that you rubbed off on me. As far as the blue grass?......hmmmmm I don't really know what to say on that. So what's next?.....Hawaii? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I call Kentucky my home even though I haven't lived there in about 4 years, so this was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's a lot of miles on hotel treadmills. I've never been to Kentucky so it's been fun reading about it from you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post! That's a ton of miles, good that you don't have to make that drive anymore. You'll need a new reason to eat m&m's, even though, I think just liking them is a good enough reason!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kind of nice, in retrospect, to have the chance to live in other areas than "home".
    Makes me want to visit KY some day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Lindsay!

    So now you move to...?

    You're not only a runner, you're a mover too.

    Beautiful horses!

    Good luck when you go and we are expecting your write about it!

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww..

    You're making me want to visit KY one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am still reeling at the 772 miles on a Holiday Inn Express treadmill. Christ.

    What a beautiful homage. I am happy for you that you get to go home. You do get to go home now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What? You are leaving? No doubt you must be happy about that. So long Kentucky and best of luck in the next place. So what is next? Do you get to move back to your house?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe it's Kentucky Bluegrass, as in the type of grass that's on my lawn?! FYI, Google it-it's green in color! My how I've missed you and my other blogging buddies. I'm behind, of course, but glad to see you're out of KY. Hmmm, interesting abbreviation for Kentucky, huh? Didn't they name a jelly after those letters?! (KY Jelly). Ummmm, you still getting married in a month?? If so, come to CT and I'll JP it for you. Wow, this comment has a lot of letters in it. AS far as my running goes, woman, I have NO motivation and my "mojo" sucks. Maybe I need to be running after "Sweet Melissa" or something. Hopefully Saturday's run for breast cancer will help motivate me. Thanks Lindsay for stalking my blog again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really HAVE been through a lot this year, Lindsay. Well, at least you have your guy, Kentucky and M & M's. Oh, and running! Uh, us too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buh-bye Kentucky!!! Sounds like there were some good times, but I'm sure you will be happy to settle in at home again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good luck with the move and great experience in Kentucky. thanks for sharing. The Derby is on my list to attend someday

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was only in Kentucky once. I went to the Lexington area to tour the Saddlebred barns. I used to show Saddlebred horses.
    It was GORGEOUS. Beautiful horse farms.
    I was told that Kentucky is one of the ugliest states during winter months. But hey- every state has it's bad months. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jealous that you got time in the Midwest and I did not (though seeing it through the windows of a Holiday Inn is not something I should endorse).

    Next up, Texas?

    What is your job?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww...that is a nice tribute to Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post. Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome home!! Are you back in South Carolina now?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy treadmill, you should get a medal just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you get to go home! Finally!

    ReplyDelete