Sunday, June 28, 2009

and so it begins

ooh boy, today was my first "quality workout" of nyc training. i was slightly dreading it this morning when i got up at 5-something. i've been running easy for about six weeks now, and the thought of breathing hard and having tired legs was psyching me out a bit. nevertheless, i laced up and hit the road around 6:30am. it was already 83 degrees and 75% humid, but it didn't really bother me. i knew i've already been running in warm temps for a couple weeks now and that i could handle it.

i'm following one of jack daniels' marathon plans from his book "the daniels' running formula". today i thought i may need to befriend the other jack daniels' in order to survive this training plan. sad, i've only done one workout so far.

today's workout was supposed to be something like - 15 minutes easy, 30 minutes marathon pace, 5 minutes threshold pace, 25 minutes marathon pace, 5 minutes threshold pace, 5 minutes marathon pace, 15 minutes easy. (yeah how am i supposed to remember all this? run with a notebook?) i ended up modifying it a little, but i'm telling myself it's ok because hey it is my first real workout-run in awhile. plus i ended up doing 7 miles at marathon goal pace which i feel is pretty decent for the first attempt. (right?)

my actual workout was: 2 miles easy, 4 miles marathon pace, 1/2 mile easy (thanks to phantom pee break), 3/4 mile threshold pace, 3/4 mile easy (lazy...), 3 miles marathon pace, 1.5 miles easy. really all i did was cut out the five minutes marathon & threshold pace and throw in a few minutes of easy running in the middle.

though i was overwhelmed before hand about hitting my marathon and threshold paces, i found myself hitting both of them without the imminent feeling of death. what a relief. (hey, i've been chugging along at close to 9min miles for awhile now.) the marathon pace was easier (obviously) to hit than threshold but i got a boost of confidence when i continued to clock marathon pace miles up until mile 11. maybe this won't be so bad afterall.

sunday (6/28) am run: 12.5 miles, 1:37:29 (avg pace 7:47), avg hr (173)

31 comments:

  1. Awesome job with the first quality workout! I am starting marathon training tomorrow with a speed workput (have not done those in 3 months) and I am a bit dreading it!
    What's your marathon goal? Good luck with your training, Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite the workout, and I agree, how are you supposed to remember all that!!

    Befriending the 'other Jack Daniels' LOL!! Love it. Great job getting it done early, and getting Day 1 outta the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your on your way to a great marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I always wonder about those workouts and how the heck people are supposed to remember all that. ("run with a notebook"..haha)I would definitely have to tweak it a bit too.

    But what a great, solid run! :) Very nice.

    (BTW, thanks for that link you sent me on figuring out your splits!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are getting your "Goofy" speed back. Nice workout and sometimes its good to have the other Jack as your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, nice run! Welcome back to quality marathon training!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!! what an awesome run

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom pee break? Is that the one where you feel like you have to pee SOOOO bad, but when you finally do, it's a pathetic 2 drops that your bladder had to evacuate?

    Those are my phantom pee breaks anyway :)

    I've had to write workouts down on my arm with pen/sharpie to remember all that nonsense.

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good workout! You will rock NYC if you keep running like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't be able to remember all that either. I hate speeding up and slowing down in a workout. That is tough. Is marathon pace in the program goal pace or current marathon pace? I know in the beginning of a training cycle for me my goal pace and my threshold (1 hr pace) are about the same. It's not until the end that my MP workouts are actually at goal pace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! Great workout. You're totally turning a corner (might have something to do with getting to go home). Don't be afraid to also befriend the other Jack Daniels. Just don't befriend him in excess before a long run.

    Enjoy your time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job girl - and all without reaching for the jack & coke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool. I've been curious about Jack Daniel's plans. You can be my guinea pig Lindsay.

    What is MP for you, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that is a crazy workout. my advice: befriend the Garmin Training Center. you can input the intervals you want to run and the speeds at which you'd like to run them. i used that thing for my Pfitz workouts to make sure i hit the correct paces.

    how long is your training plan?

    oh and lol about the phantom pee break. i'm with Joy on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job, that's one clean pair of quick heels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great job on running! I need to do some awesome workouts like that! I start real training here pretty soon. I'll be eyeing your page for some ideas on how to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A 7:47 pace-----I can't even fathom that thought! That is unreal, if you ever want to "share" a tri...I get the bike part and you can run!
    Congrats on, in my opinion, a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy crap! It sounds like those complicated swim workouts that I can never remember.

    Such a beast to do a 14 mile run with speed work!

    I love teh new header (I have been reading on Google Reader so I don't know if it has ben changed for a while.

    Sooo, I must be a total wimp but my marathon pace IS my easy pace.

    Got to get back to the speed work...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet time for a 12. I would have been so lost trying to remember all the things I needed to do. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I'm tired just reading that workout.

    Right now I'm using Pfitz 24/55. I'll be watching how Daniels treats you just in case I decide I want to do another marathon. That assumes of course that I never regain sanity....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Geeeze I wouldn't have been able to remember all those times either! Sounds like you had a solid run though and you're kicking off training on the right foot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are all of your runs going to be so complicated? I'd have to write it out on my arm in permanent marker!

    Congrats on kicking off your program (officially) and nailing your paces!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job on the run. You're a warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job on your first day of training. Sounds like you had a good run and are more than prepared to begin your NY marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  25. awesome job girl!! you totally nailed that workout! its so great when those first workouts at certain paces arent *that* hard... just gives you a big boost of confidence! i know i have been really nervous for my first threshold pace run... hopefully it will go as well as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. whoa. you are speedy! cool workout though. i haven't ever done one like that. i may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. GREAT job! I envision you writing your workouts on your arm or something. I mean, that's some complicated stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  28. SWEET Lindsay!! What a way to start your marathon training!!!! WOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have you done the Daniels' plan before? I have a few weeks before formal training begins and I'm doing some research.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting workout! I've never done anything so complicated like that before. Will be interesting to follow your workouts. I've heard a lot about Daniels Marathon training but don't know much about it.

    Good luck with training!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great run! Obviously I won't be running at your pace in NY! You're a superstar, girl!!

    ReplyDelete