Wednesday, June 10, 2009

dr. lindsay: sugar up for speed and drink water

the avid google reader-er that i am, i saw these two articles earlier this week in the nytimes. since the times are a reputable source, these articles must be 100% legit right?

m&m's are terrific pre-workout fuel
and now i think i'm diabetic. (interesting articles, but not quite sure how helpful they are)

the first is self-explainable especially coming from me, and the second relates to those lovely visitors i get in the middle of the night. i've been having calf/feet cramps a couple times per month this year and trying to take a few notes each time it happens. i eat 1-2 bananas per day (although i am getting a little tired of them) and i'm sure i could drink a little more water but i don't think i'm doing that bad. so, this leaves me with my professional medical diagnosis of diabetes. scratch that, i need my m&m's; let's go with poor circulation instead.



i slept through my alarm this morning (wednesday) and barely made it to work on time. nothing like waking up at 5:48 am when you have to be out the door by 6:00 am. luckily i showered the night before and i work on a construction site, so i was pretty sure i could get away with skipping my morning shower. i missed my chance at getting in a morning run (would've been on the treadmill anyway, blah) and had an evening full of plans, so i just took the day off. i'm behaving myself and not feeling upset about a "0" in the training log, but hoping i fair ok for the rest of the week.

16 comments:

  1. I get calf cramps in the middle of the night about every other week. They suck... but I just chalk them up to electrolyte imbalances. I'm trying to be better about addressing those needs (with bananas, like you are!). I hope you find a solution.

    Love that candy study! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "candy can be as efficient as fruit" - and candy (we call them lollies) doesn't make you hungry (I love fruit but it makes me hungry...).

    Regarding your cramps: when i first had my gastric band done and was living on meal replacement shakes, I was getting MASSIVE cramps. My doctor said it was because I wasn't eating enough salt. Started eating more eggs and veggie stews with salt in it and boom! No cramps...

    Maybe we need to find you some salt encrusted M&Ms... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&M's are great! Hope the leg cramps go away. Maybe it is an electrolyte imbalance. You should track the food you eat and workouts and see if you can find a pattern of when the cramps occur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the theory behind that first article. :) I've fueled for a run with candy before and you know it what? It can work!

    Don't sweat the zero! Have a great rest-of-the-week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both my mother and an ex-boyfriend of mine got similar calf cramps and I haven't heard either of them mention them in a while. Neither of them is diabetic, so you shouldn't worry about that :) I think they just both tried to stay hydrated, cut caffeine intake slightly, and get a lot of potassium and electrolytes. As for the rest day, I think you probably needed it and I'm glad you're not stressing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "M&Ms as pre-workout fuel" was too funny! Too bad about the cramps -- if you're looking for other high-potassium food, try avocados. Might save you from going insane thanks to a banana overdose (truly, there are only so many you can eat ...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try coconut water for potassium. It has 3x the potassium found in 1 banana, no fat & no cholestrol. Oh, and Amazon usually has them on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here are some other high potassium foods: cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, oranges, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes and OJ.

    It's OK, no worries about the "0" day. Now that's your rest day and you can run the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL M&M's are awesome for a pre workout snack! I once had a donut before a 20 miler and it was one of the best runs I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I know, some people are predisposed to getting cramps, and no matter how much potassium/sodium they take in, they are still getting the cramps. However, I would still try to drink a glass of Nuun or Gatorade after each run, just to see if you experience any improvement.
    Good luck.
    Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please don't ever break up with M&Ms. I justify eating them because you do. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. M&Ms are usually cheaper than energy gels too so you'd actually save money :-)

    Hope you can figure out that calf cramp thing. Maybe those socks that keep your feet from pointing at night might help?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, I'm sold! M&Ms it is! :)

    And I get some pretty bad calf cramps at night as well . . . but haven't really been able to find a solution. Sigh. Let me know if you find anything that works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfect, and you got more this morning too, right? save them for your run! LOL Leg cramps suck, hope you get that figured out...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be careful. Coconut water is awesome post run.

    M&M's rock!

    Your run was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I don't think my last comment "took." I do like the sound of the M&M article, a lot!

    What about avocados? guacamole? that would help with potassium, no?

    ReplyDelete