Wednesday, June 3, 2009

national running day - miles for mel

as i'm sure you are all well aware, today was national running day. i was concerned about how/when i'd squeeze in a run, but i knew i had to make it happen. after i read mel's post, today's run had even more importance.

initially i was going to get up at 3:30am and hit the treadmill, but unfortunately my legs could not get out of bed. (who celebrates national running day on the treadmill anyway?) i had dinner plans after work, but luckily i was able to shift that around and had time to run between work and dinner. it t-stormed on and off all afternoon, but cleared up enough for a run by 5:00. actually, had i ran at the other park nearby, my run would have been cut short by another thunderstorm. good thing i picked the hilly park today - it was just cloudy and breezy.

on monday i finally made myself do some squats and lunges; i've been long overdue. i only did 2x15 squats and 2x15 lunges, thinking i'd keep it short and save myself some of the doms that would inevitably follow. i was oh so wrong. my legs were incredibly sore yesterday and even worse today. my muscles refused to cooperate when i tried to start running today, so i took a 0.25 mile walk to help loosen them up and then eased into running. the walk was rather enjoyable though, the breeze was refreshing and i had a chance to soak up the scenery. i almost considered just walking, but i knew i needed to run for mel (and the holiday). the quarter-mile walk skewed the overall pace but oh well.

wednesday (6/3) pm run: 6 miles, 55:21 (avg pace 9:13), avg hr (156), 77*

i'm sure i've never thought 77* was refreshing to run in, but after hot runs on monday and tuesday it was quite welcomed. running around 6:00pm is not quite the coolest part of the day. mel, your legs were a little sore, but you can add another 6 miles to your total!

monday (6/1) pm run: 7.50 miles, 1:08:07 (avg pace 9:04), avg hr (159), 88*
tuesday (6/2) pm run: 7.05 miles, 1:05:23 (avg pace 9:16), avg hr (155), 88*

again, my pace is slower than normal but i think i am finally adjusting to the warmer temps. it's not as hard to keep my hr down anymore, and i'm hoping i'm not just practicing getting slower :)

good luck to those in the nyc lottery! (marathonman, just the distance, and anyone else!) hope to see you there in november.

14 comments:

  1. Ugh. Just got back into town tonight. I wanted to run, but just couldn't push myself out the dorr. Oh well.

    Sounds like you're getting into the swing of things in Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome! Glad you didn't get caught in a thunderstorm on my account! LOL! Thanks Lindsay! Hope your (oops, my?!?!?!) legs feel less tired soon... keep up with the lunges and squats though! You already know *for sure* you're in NY and not waiting on lottery results, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes me all damn summer to get acclimated to the heat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice running! I got caught in a tstorm during my 10K back in April. It scared the shit out of me....I could hear the thunder over my ipod which is usually very loud, it was scary and cool all at once. The down pour was actually refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were going to get up at 3:30 to run? That early? Wow, and I thought my 4:30 wake ups were ridiculous! Congratulations on getting that run in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3:30 am, I don't think I have ever thought of waking up that early. 4am is my cut off! Great job getting in the runs this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine 77 feeling "refreshing". I guess it's all relative! Good job getting out there and making those legs work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good run on National Running Day! (and that you were able to run outside and not on the t-mill at 3:30 a.m.!!! holy moly)

    Lunges are such a killer, but I used to do them like 3x a week so I was never too sore afterwards. I need to get back into that because I've been slaaaacking - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsay - why didn't I read your comment *before* I left on my trip?

    That's a great idea about looking at mapmyrun/usatf! Needless to day, I didn't so didn't really know what was around my hotel.

    Of course, I'd rather work on not having to stay in a hotel, but we've got to do what we've got to do. (I need to figure out how a slow fat guy can make a living running all day).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess who didn't run on National Running Day. Mmmhmm. That's right. This loser right here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my version of acclimating to summer is being able to run at 70 degrees. i'm a heat wuss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it turns out I didn't get into New York :( Hartford Marathon, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice 'National Running Day' run! I agree...a treadmill run just doesn't seem to count.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on getting your miles in for National Running Day! Your dedication to putting in the miles is impressive. I'm a bit of a wimp compared to you. But that's another story for another day...

    ReplyDelete