Monday, June 29, 2009

my nyc pearl

week in review (6/22 - 6/28):
total miles: 53.7 (shorter than planned, but decent)
time spent running: ~7 hours 45 minutes
avg hr: 161.83
avg pace: 8:49/mile (avg temp: 84.8*)
off days: 1

two short days (~5 miles) and a rest day kept me from meeting my mileage for the week but i did beat last week. an extra 1.31 miles just barely counts as increasing.

sunday (long run day) was my first "quality workout" and since there are only two quality/workout runs per week, i realized i don't have that many hard/challenging runs in this program. i hope on those tough days i will be able to remind myself that i only have 36 workout-runs and there are no excuses to skip one or cut it short. afterall, it takes an irritant to get a pearl. [chris lear, sub 4:00]

i went out for a super easy run sunday evening to loosen things up and shake things out from my morning run, and also to squeeze in a few more miles for the week. the legs felt ok during and after the run, but monday morning they were quite disagreeable when i headed out for some easy mileage. i treated them to a dip in the atlantic after the run but i don't think the water is cool enough to really help. i'm hoping they're just tired from that quality run since it was the first time in quite awhile that i pushed myself.

17 comments:

  1. Yes I sure think your legs are a bit tired from Sunday's amazing run!!! Keep it going girl!!!

    FIRST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the fact that you were able to "dip in the Atlantic" after a run makes me soo freakin jealous. I still think 50+ miles is great...and I'm glad you took an off day this week. Your legs probably needed it.

    I like that quote, too. Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't meet your mileage? Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on a solid week!

    You ran AGAIN Sunday evening, after your key workout? Hardcore! Hope the legs feel fresh again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50+ is always a solid week, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome mileage. Funny you say the ocean dip was not too cool. Around here, the ocean is always ice cold, no matter the air temperatures:) Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. you had an incredible sunday run. i'd imagine that your legs are just a little tired. i'm excited to try some good quality runs in my training. i love the quote about the pearl! i'll keep that in mind when i feel like making excuses for not doing harder runs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great week. Good job. Look out though, I'm coming up right behind you on the mileage :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you had a hardcore run on Sunday, a quick shake out run Sunday night, then ran again Monday? Not surprised your legs were tired, but good for you for getting all of those runs in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed my quality long run this weekend so I'm bummed...but you're off to a great start for your NYC training! One of these weeks, I'm going to force myself to catch up to your weekly mileage...in fact, i think i'll make a game of it...

    So I guess the score is linsday 1, lam 0...i'm keeping tabs! Heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, one thing for sure, some pretty high mileage in that training program! I've only run 50-60 miles once before in training for the Goofy Challenge. Now I only run half of that if I'm lucky :-(

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Atlantic is so cold up here there is only once rule of survival if you fall in: Get Out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure the legs are just tired from your quality run! It's cool to rest them if they need it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another solid week in the books. You are off to a great start. You'll be able to nail all the hard/challenging runs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! See? You need to be out on the left coast. I think the water is in the low 60's right now. Still full wetsuit time for me! Of course, you'd have to get used to California's "green" hills.

    Great job of sorting through what's important on the plan. You're so right - with my new understanding of quality versus easy runs, it's those hard quality workout that provide the stimulus for improvement. I had never thought things through the way you put in in today's post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the Atlantic really warm where you are? I tried to dip my tootsies in there over the weekend, & I think I got frostbite.

    LMAO on ghost pee! Glad I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great week! Keep it up. Wow! An Atlantic icebath! I love it.

    ReplyDelete